Cleanliness & safety when field dressing deer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Cleanliness & safety when field dressing deer.

Post by wabi »

Just curious as to other members methods for field dressing deer and big game. I used to just roll up my sleeves, grab a sharp knife and get busy. Now I'm finding myself carrying disposable latex gloves, sanitary cleansing wipes, and being a lot more careful to avoid contamination (of both me and the deer :wink: ).
What do you do? Do you give any special attention and effort to avoid any possible hazards of disease and/or bacterial contamination?
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

I cover my latex gloves with a cut proof work glove. I had a bad cut once while reaching up unseen into the chest cavity to cut the windpipe in a large bear, now I wear such gloves just in case. I also carry a few 6" plastic zip ties to tie off the anus, easier that using a string and tying a knot I found.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I also wear latex gloves and like the idea of tying off the anus. I keep a box of baby wipes in the truck, they work pretty good for cleaning up.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I use latex gloves too, and I also carry a plastic bag to put the heart in. Thats it. I can usualy find a creek near by to wash up afterwards if I have too, but the gloves realy help to keep the mess down.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I used to just roll up my sleeves, grab a sharp knife and get busy.
I still do. I just use a small piece of string to tie off the anus but other than that I just roll up my sleeves and go. I've always been able to find some water to wash up in when I'm finished.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I use whatever I have handy.. I do try to use latex gloves, mainly since the wife doesnt want you to touch here later that night if you have blood under your nails LOL :lol:

Usually its always a stream very close by that I use to wash up though, but still nothing beats a latex glove to keep your hands clean :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Blue latex gloves sold for dairy work. Handi wipes to clean off any blood. Also do the string thing. Once saw a guide in Montana just zip the deer open, including pelvis and brisket, with his big knife then just shake the vicera out holding the deer by the shoulders, belly up.. He also used a small chain saw with peanut oil in the oil reservoir to quarter the deer.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

when im reaching in to cut away things I can't see, I use a knife only as big as my finger, that way I know where the blade is at all times.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I still just roll the sleeves up and get to it. I don't tie of the anus. I do as mentioned in one of the other replies and split the ribs and pelvis with small game saw then loosing everything up with knife. Everything is wide open and easy to see where fingers are except when getting bottom of diaphram.
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

Use the disposable shoulder length gloves. Not so worried about contamination or diseases, just keeps my hunting clothes blood free.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Normous

Post by Normous »

bstout wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:mainly since the wife doesnt want you to touch here later that night if you have blood under your nails
You get to touch your wife!

Hmm...I'm going to have a talk with my "Little Dove" about other guys getting to touch their wives. :shock: :D
We know how to celebrate :wink: :wink:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

LMAO:)

oh and one safety tip.. if you shoot a deer with a bow, make sure the bhead isnt still in the deer. Its not nice to reach in and grab the bhead in your hand. I was lucky and didnt get cut LOL :D tough farmer hands LMAO
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I wear one of those filet gloves on my left while I work the knife with the right. The gloves protect against cuts and allow a sure grip on slippery body parts.

Bottled water to clean my hands afterwards, or I just do as my cat does and lick my paws and then rub my face.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"