What's that smell - something burning?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aerostarp

What's that smell - something burning?

Post by aerostarp »

I shoot an exocet and notice the smell of something burning in the air after the shot. :shock: I know the bolts are fast but not "smokin'". Don't notice it all the time. I keep the string well waxed. Any ideas?
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

That smell reminds me of gun powder after a shot. I believe its just all the wax that smoking.

Grey Owl
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yup that's what it is... I had the same question a few months ago and everyone said it is wax burning. It smelled like burnt matches to me.

DrD
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use T/C Maxilube on rail, getting to like it as much as smelling shotgun shells after they have been fired. :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Thanks for all the responses. I just read in another thread that some of you use Silicone Spray lube on the rail and bolts. I will try that.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We were discussing just the same thing today at the shoot. Smells a bit like Kordite? Was wondering if it was some reaction from of the string or bolt moving through the air at high speed. I'm no chem. major though. Maybe some reaction in the air, something being created, like ozone? I hadn't waxed my string or deck in ages and I did again recently, and I noticed the same intensity of the smell both with and without wax, so I'm doubting that it's just the wax. Anyone have a defininte answer or explanation?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

that's the smell of a smokin fast bolt :lol: gotta love the smell of some burning wax :lol:
Stash

Post by Stash »

I always thought it was the smell of heated aluminum. Seems I get a whiff of the same smell when I break loose a tight screw out of an aluminum piece like a bow riser.

I don't think it's the wax - I seem to recall that you get the same smell when you shoot an Excalibur straight out of the box without waxing.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

every time you wax the smell comes back and it wears out it every shot
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

That's one of the fine pleasures of trap shooting... Everytime you break open the fine action of a BT-99 a nice curl of smoke comes up and greets you nasal pasages. One night while I was severely trouncing my shooting buddy I told him it smelled just like victory!

DrD
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I notice it more on my Equinox than my Phoenix. We talked about it one time before and it may also be the serving burning a bit during contact with the rail. I can't see any scorch marks on the serving though. I think it's the wax burning.

DrD
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

It's the smell of victory