string came OFF???????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dugmqdugmq

string came OFF???????????

Post by dugmqdugmq »

I was shooting my CB and after one of the shots my string popped off... what did I do wrong with the setup???? i shot 20-30 shots before that and it never came off.... I'd hate to be in the woods and shoot and have that happen... thanks for any input
also when the string came off, that was my best shot(dead center) LOL
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Generally if a string flies off the loop is too large due to stretching or incorrect manufacture or else the loop and/or tips are deformed from a dryfire. The string comes off after the arrow is gone, so accuracy is not affected, but it sure sounds bad, doesn't it?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Not much advice to give once Bill T has spoke. I had a couple strings that popped off, one was the very first shot and it was attributed to the string loops being out of spec (loops to big). Two things I will add, do not restring with the string, throw it away. Ensure you check the tips and grooves on your limb tips for chips/cracks.

Rich
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

The only other cause I can think of is the brace height was set too far forward. Where did you have the string set? If it was in front of the first line then that may have caused the problem.
boyeti

Re: string came OFF???????????

Post by boyeti »

I had this happen too, i knew it wasn't a dry fire, went and found arrow which flopped out in the yard 10 yards. I had just switched to a bolt with field tip from broad head to disarm bow with shot at target. After some confusion i realized the broadhead bolt which had been removed was split on tail and that the nock was missing. I determined the cause to be that a nock from the bolt i removed had stayed in channel. When i shot the field tip bolt the string must of jumped and caused a partial dry fire and then fell off. Do i need new limbs?
j.krug

Re: string came OFF???????????

Post by j.krug »

boyeti wrote:I had this happen too, i knew it wasn't a dry fire, went and found arrow which flopped out in the yard 10 yards. I had just switched to a bolt with field tip from broad head to disarm bow with shot at target. After some confusion i realized the broadhead bolt which had been removed was split on tail and that the nock was missing. I determined the cause to be that a nock from the bolt i removed had stayed in channel. When i shot the field tip bolt the string must of jumped and caused a partial dry fire and then fell off. Do i need new limbs?
What bow are you shooting? If it's a long limbed bow from the Exo series there is likely no issues. Inspect the limbs visually and if you see no damage put a new string on, cock the bow and run a cotton ball over the limbs to check for splinters or cracks. If none, you're good to go.

On the newer short limb bows there may be a greater risk of limb damage. Inspect them carefully and if you're not sure contact Excalibur to get their input.

I'm sure a few Matrix/Micro owners will be along soon to offer you good advice. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads