Rule Set for Deer Teams

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kenton

Rule Set for Deer Teams

Post by Kenton »

I haven't heard any other good suggestions for rules so here is the final set.

Teams
-three man teams
-all members must be on the forum (except a young son or daughter, like ray's)
-team must have a name (first come, first served for popular names)

Bucks
-one buck can be scored as such (no culls)

Does
-up to two does may be counted per hunter
-a buck submitted after a hunter has already summited a buck will count towards the doe total

Pictures
-if a weapon is pointed at the hunter, cameraman, or anyone else the deer will not be counted (treat EVERY weapon like its loaded; hour one in hunter's ed) *this is my pet peve and I will enforce it.

-a tag must be present in the submitted picture (a phone confirmation number is fine and the pic doesn't need to be right at the harvest site); I understand Florida doesn't require a tag of any kind and thats ok.

Deadlines
-have team members and team name to me by Oct 1.
-this FRIENDLY contest will end the last day that anyone will be hunting (no need to get worked up by this one)
-deer must be submitted within two weeks of harvest (should be plenty of time)

Now, for scoring.
A bucks score will be comprised of two parts; typical points (very simple) and inside spread (very simple). This is not boone and crockett.

-number of typical (regular growing points from the main beam)
2-6 typical points will recieve 10 forum points
7-8 typical points will recieve 15 forum points
9-10 typical points will recieve 20 forum points
more than 10 typical points will recieve 25 forum points

spread
-the widest line (perpendicular to the deer) between the main beams
less than 15 inches will recieve 10 forum points
greater than 15 inches but less than 20 inches will recieve 15 forum points
greater than 20 inches will recieve 20 forum points

Does will recieve 20 forum points

Bonus Points
-a deer harvested with a muzzle loader will recieve 2 forum points
-a deer harvested with a bow will recieve 4 forum points
-a deer harvested with an Excalibur bow will recieve 5 forum points

Total Scoring
-a single person's highest possible score is 100
-a single team's highest possible score is 300
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

To submit a deer for scoring post your pic under this thread along with its forum point total. Thats it, I will handle adding points to teams and keeping things in order. This way if a mistake is made, it is my mistake.
You can also post your pics in the trophy room along with your story but try to keep congradulations and such off this post, it could get big.

Also I would like to make this a sticky post for easy viewing but I don't know how that works.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Total Scoring
-a single person's highest possible score is 100
-a single team's highest possible score is 300

I think the scoring should be open ended. Unless allot of guys have limits on deer they can kill. Then the 100 point limit would be good. But what will be the determining factor if there are allot of tie's !

Here in Md we have unlimited doe's and I know I will be racking up the points.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I think most of the people have bag limits.

Also, If you have deer down already, wait until Oct. 1 to submit them. Everything will be ready to go at that time.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Let me make sure I got this right . . .only three deer can be submitted, one buck and two does. Is that right? If so and I max out on the does, it would give me 50 points . . .how hard would it be to go over 50 points on the buck? If not hard, then there will be a lot of ties. If limited to three deer, then why not be open ended with the scoring? Likelihood of a tie would be slim then.

**EDITED**Wait . . .looks like the most points a buck can score is 45. So, most points possible is 95 per individual, right?

**EDITED** again . . .ok . . .if I get the bonus for the buck, then it's a highest possible scoring of 50 points for the big buck . . .OK I'm on the same page . . .total possible points per individual is 100 points. There should be a few ties, but, it's going to be hard for three team members to all get a 12 point buck with a 20 inch spread . . .I think. :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Kenton,

In your first rules post a while back, I think you said the weapon used must be in the photo too. Is that rule still required?

Can a person take three does and void his buck entry if he chooses to do so?

Thanks for all the hard work to you and droptine.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I never said the wepon had to be in the photo but I did ask to wait until the contest starts to post pics. You may count a doe as a buck but it may not score well with no points and no spread.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Trust sounds good to me. Sorry JH, I wasn't trying to get you in trouble, just clarify for future entries.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Remember, get your team names to me. Not many teams have and once I get things going, thats it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Kenton,
Here's a pic for the scoring (and to get the thread back on top) :wink:
Sorry, but the photographer cut off the deer's head in the pic, so the temp tag doesn't show, then my camera battery died so I couldn't get a better pic. :cry: I can provide a permanant tag no. if you want it.
Doe (actually button buck, but tagged as "antlerless") - 20 points
Shot with an Excalibur phoenix - 5 points
total 25 points
wabi
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Hey Kenton,
Here is my first deer for the contest. I got him on Saturday the 3rd. I am going to go ahead and score him as a doe (25 points) for UncleNightLove. I can provide a pic of the check tag if you would like. Sorry the pic is not good but I had to act fast to get him to the butcher.

flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

WOW!!!! :shock: ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO SCORE HIM AS A DOE? NOW THATS A CONFIDENT MAN!!!!

JAY
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Here is Fred Bear's doe from saturday, I'll let him post the story.
vixenmaster

Buck 4 pt. Miss Vixen

Post by vixenmaster »

Got this 4 pt on tues. morning with Miss Vixen using a Steelhead.Image
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
vixenmaster

Doe

Post by vixenmaster »

Took this Doe with ML.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315