What am I doing wrong ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

What am I doing wrong ?

Post by diesel »

I did some bolts that they are shooting out of a Horton. 20 inch shaft, 4 egree offset , 14.5 % FOC. 450 grs. with a 125gr. broadhead.
I'm told these do not groug well. They are Carbon Express bolt. I used my G5 so the ends of the shafts are true, the shaft is straight, less than 1gr. vary between shaft. I'm doing everything the same I do for Excalibur but still these bolts do not fly true. I have check to see that the moon nocks are inline with the fletching.
What should I try next ? Do I remove the fletching and shot the shaft @ 20yrds. and see if how they group ? What do I do ?
Any Ideals ? :?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Are you hand cocking or using a rope cocker on it? I have watched guys mark their string on each side of rail. Then they shoot and at 20 yds. it will be 2" off to one side. Checked string mark after they had it cocked and it would be a 16th to an eigth off. Doesn't take much and they will shoot 3" groups at 20 yds. instead of 1 1/2' groups!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
diesel

Post by diesel »

Thanks guys.
Just found out when he shots with field tips they all group well. When he puts broadheads on none of them shot the same 5 or 6 inch group. Then he tells me if he takes a factory bolt and puts the broadhead on it he has less then a 2 inch group. :shock:

This all started when he heard how well my bolts shot. Most of my family would buy a dozen bolts and shot them all. They would devide them up but the way they grouped. Setting some a side and only shoting the ones that grouped well.
I asked if he was using a cocking aid he said no. I ask him to shot them in another bow and see what happend. He said he was no just shooting this once or twice but he had shot the bolts many times.
I'm thinking about giving him some Slick tricks to try.

Any Thoughts. :?
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I was shooting 100 grain Muzzy 4 blades. My Phoenix threw them all over the map. My buddy shot my bow and bolts...same thing.

We both shot my bolts in his Phoenix and they were fine????????

I tried Wasp Boss 100 gr, 3 blades and they were fine.

Killed my first bow deer with them this morning.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

diesel . . .take a look at this thread.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... t=grouping

If it's a cocking issue, then his shots should still be in line horizonally. If you have both vertical and horizonal issues, then it may not be the cocking issue.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
diesel

Post by diesel »

Want to thank all of you for your help.
We tried everything. We even took the bolts with his broadhead and shot them in an other Horton bow they shot the same in both bows.
So I bought another set of Slick Tricks gave them to him. he now shoots a 2 or 3 inch groug but they all shoot the same.
When he picked up the broadheads he saw the target we had been shooting @ 35 yards. He could not believe how offten we were hitting the 3 inch dot. said there was no way any of their Horton bows would do that.

Horton owners. How well do the bows shoot ? can you shoot the eye out of a knat at 20 yards or not ?
Please don't think I'm bad mouthing Horton, I would like to now from any one that has owned one how well they shoot as conpared to Excalibur .
I think the problem is fixed. If not now then soon. He is going to buy an Excalibur. That will be #4 in the family I've helpped talk into buying the best crossbow made.
Thanks Bill for making the best .
Larry
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Using the cocking aid is definitely the way to go for accuracy.
Grizz