Tree stand claims another life

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

Tree stand claims another life

Post by diesel »

A friend of mines neighbor was killed this past weekend when the bottom of the climber tree stand fell. He had a safty harness on and it hung him.
I do not know any of the details but this is the just of what I was told today. Gog bless him and his family.

BECAREFUL AND DON'T TAKE CHANCES.
Life is to short. Hug your wife and kids and tell them you love them every day.
This happened in South East Ohio , Down towards New Lexington[/b]
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

My thoughts and prayers are sent to his family!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Sako

Post by Sako »

Sorry to hear that.... IF you do not have a harness type safety belt... get one.
Like Mr. Nugent says... You can't grill it till you kill it.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Sad...getting killed doing what you love. Prayers for the family.

Guys,

For those of you that use the two piece climbers. TIE them together with about 6 foot of cord. If the bottom drops it will only go a small ways and can be pulled back up.

Even though we wear a harness plan on what to do if you fall. Even a harness can kill you if you are left hanging too long. Blood will pool in your legs and you will lose conciousness and die.

When you are in the stand be sure that your tether is attached to the tree high enough that you can not fall below the treestand platform. You can also have a screw in treestep handly so that you can screw it into the tree to get back up.

IOW - make plans that you can get back in the stand if you fall. Your life may depend on it.

Good AND SAFE hunting to all..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That is sad, my thoughts go to that family..

Yesterday was my first day in a stand, took me 5 minutes to walk to it from my house, and almost an hour to get my harness on and fastened to the tree. I use a full harness and felt very confident in it's security, once it was on.
This morning went much smoother, it is too easy, I don't know why anyone would risk not wearing it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

News like that scares the heck out of me.

I have a question. My climber came with detailed instructions and step-by-step photos on how to fasten the harness once I'm up in the stand. The instuctions also state that the harness should be used WHILE climbing, but there is no real explanation on how this is to be done. I can't think of how to use the harness in a safe way while climbing. It seems to me that repeatedly re-attaching or sliding the harness up the tree will require me to change my grip so often that I am putting myself at greater risk of falling. Does anyone have any tips on how to use a safety harness while climbing? (My stand is a LoneWolf Alpha Hand Climber)

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Normous

Post by Normous »

ninepointer wrote:News like that scares the heck out of me.

I have a question. My climber came with detailed instructions and step-by-step photos on how to fasten the harness once I'm up in the stand. The instuctions also state that the harness should be used WHILE climbing, but there is no real explanation on how this is to be done. I can't think of how to use the harness in a safe way while climbing. It seems to me that repeatedly re-attaching or sliding the harness up the tree will require me to change my grip so often that I am putting myself at greater risk of falling. Does anyone have any tips on how to use a safety harness while climbing? (My stand is a LoneWolf Alpha Hand Climber)

Ninepointer
My Summit climber came with a rope with a prussic knot that attaches to your harness to compliment the climber. Sliding the rope and knot up and down while assending/decending is quite easy and certainly instills confidence due to the fact you are attached to the tree at all times.
They are available from Summit.com.
I wouldn't climb any other way.
Be safe everyone.
Norm
Last edited by Normous on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Sad news indeed, my prayers go out to his family and friends.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sorry to hear it. I pray that God will comfort the family.
Grizz
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

This thread and Enormous' reply to my post prompted me to re-read my treestand's manual for the first time in 2 years. It turns out that there is a way to climb while harnessed to the tree the entire time. The problem was that I had slid into my own climbing style, which was not well-suited for harness use.

If you're like me, please take the time to read your manual again; you might be surprised at what you have forgotten :oops: . If you can't find your manual, contact the manufacturer or go to their website.

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Very sad, and unfortunate.

As was already mentioned secure the top to the bottom on climbers, also once at your desired height a bungee can be used to help secure and prevent the bottom from falling.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sad news indeed, but it can and does happen. Seems like anytime we get off the ground we are in danger. I hope everyone will give some thought to safety before they climb into their stand again. Not going to try to tell you how to safely use a stand, but I would have to say if you don't feel comfortable with your setup (stand & safety harness) you might be better off on the ground. I have a Summit climber that is very stable and secure, but I seldom use it just because I don't feel comfortable (as in relaxed because I feel safe) in it. The ladder stands just feel much more secure to me. If it's too far or too rough to get a ladder stand in to, I pack the pop-up blind instead anymore.
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Our Prayers Go Out To His family And Friends
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

this is a sad story, i dont use treestands any more , but i install 3 stands for my son each year,,,, i use boomers to fasten them at the top. i use a ratchet type fastner to attach the ladder brace then i make sure the legs are setting in a flat rock keeping them from sinking,,,, i informed my son to get himself a new horness.. i only use 1 section & that only goes up 10 feet. i dont tie the ladders together but i will,,,,good advise. cant be too careful. i stay on the grown. i am 74 now and dont feel safe up there , so i use a ground blind.

be safe everyone hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

It chills me each year when I read about the news of another hunter falling to his death while pursuing the whitetail. This thread about another death from a fall prompted me to tell you what I do to remain safe. As many of you know, I almost died from my fall during the 1997 season. “Once burned, twice shy” is a good adage to describe my philosophy regarding hunting from heights now.

enormous wrote: My Summit climber came with a rope with a prussic knot that attaches to your harness to compliment the climber. Sliding the rope and knot up and down while assending/decending is quite easy and certainly instills confidence due to the fact you are attached to the tree at all times.
They are available from Summit.com.
I wouldn't climb any other way.
Be safe everyone.
Norm
ninepointer wrote:This thread and Enormous' reply to my post prompted me to re-read my treestand's manual for the first time in 2 years. It turns out that there is a way to climb while harnessed to the tree the entire time. The problem was that I had slid into my own climbing style, which was not well-suited for harness use.

If you're like me, please take the time to read your manual again; you might be surprised at what you have forgotten :oops: . If you can't find your manual, contact the manufacturer or go to their website.

Ninepointer

I also use the prussic knot attachment system and mine also came from Summit. This system makes using a climbing stand one of the safest ways to go. You are attached all the way up and all the way down. Unless you use one of the tether systems that attach you when “CLIMBING” a ladder stand or hang on stand, I feel the climber is actually safer then both of these type of stands. More falls come from hunters getting on and off of hang on stands every year in my estimation. A system that attaches you before you take your first step off of mother earth is mandatory in my book regardless of the type of stand you are hunting. It’s tempting to just climb ladder stands without protection, but you hear every year of hunters falling while climbing the ladders.

The use of a “PROPERLY AJUSTED AND PROPER FITTING” full body harness in conjunction with a “ground to sky” tether system is really important. Hanging 15 ft. in the air in a harness that is not adjusted properly is dangerous. We all hear the stories of the hunter asphyxiated after falling and find out he was just wearing a one piece system that went around his chest. But now we also start to hear stories of guys having injuries with the full body systems. I can only assume these were poorly designed systems or poorly adjusted or both.

The way to adjust the full body harness is usually printed on every piece of literature that comes with the harness. There are more disclaimers about the product then actual instructions in most cases. I am not going to attempt to tell you how to adjust you harness. What I am going to tell you is that finding out it is adjusted poorly when you are hanging twenty feet in the air after a fall from your stand is not the best time to realize this fact.

HANG YOURSELF! Give it a try. I do it with every full body harness I use. The way I do it is very convenient. I have a hydraulic lift in my garage and I just hook myself to it with controls in hand and raise it and lower it with me hanging in my harness. But you can do it by just attaching to a sturdy tree. Just attach to the tree as high as you can while standing on the ground then just slowly lift your knees up till you are suspended.

See how it feels. But beware! Some designs are real crotch busters. I know of one full body harness on the market that should you use it and fall you will want to die just to put you out of your misery from the pain “down there”. Make sure all the pressure points where the harness is gripping you are equalized as best as possible. On the harness I use the most I have painted some bright orange marks on the webbing where I adjust the leg loops so I get the proper adjustment every time. The rest of the harness is all permanently set after the initial adjustment so the leg loops are the only ones that need this marking.

I always have a knife on my body also. I hope I never have to cut away the harness, but if I have to, I will be able. I also adjust the entire setup with the least slack possible both climbing and while hunting so that if I fall, I can get my hands on the stand an attempt to get out of my predicament.

In 97 when I fell, my cell phone was in my fanny pack. I took my fanny pack off and attached it to a part of the tree. It didn’t fall. Now my cell phone is on my body along with my knife.

Some say to have a screw in step on your body just in case you have to use it to take pressure off of your restraining system should you fall. I have mixed opinions about having a sharp screw end in one of my pockets.

What little things do you do to remain safe in the trees? Got any tips to share?

You can never hear enough about this subject.