Therma Cell

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DropTine

Therma Cell

Post by DropTine »

Im hesitant to try my Therma Cell deer hunting because i heard that the deer can small it. Is this true? The weather has been so dry and hot, the skeeters should be crazy monday when i head out.

Thanks,

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
M&M

Post by M&M »

I just bought one yesterday and took it out hunting with me today and it worked wonderfully, I had 4 deer come in to within 10yds of me and they never once acted like they smelled a thing. I am totally sold, so I went out and bought one for my son. M&M
tracer

Post by tracer »

Don't risk it, the thing gives off a burning butane smell. The squeeters are pretty well done anyways now that the swamps are all dryed up.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I think I'd like to try one ... our skeeters are never "done" ... just waiting for the next warm day!

I've killed many a deer when soaked with repellent ... as close as 15 feet!
Grizz
frydaddy

what?

Post by frydaddy »

:o :o :o Man if you don't turn it on in the south where i hunt you can't hunt. I think thay can smell it but are not alarmed by it. :)
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

iit may be dry in Canada , but down here in the SOUTH , it's wet !! And the skeeters don't go away till mid Nov. sometimes . Be glad for your dry weather.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
tracer

Post by tracer »

The point I am trying to make is that you do not want to release any unnatural odors in the woods, especially when a mature buck is around. By playing the wind and minding the thermal currents, you should be all right using the ThermaCELL . But if it's a mature shooter buck your after, leave the ThermaCELL at home.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im taking my lil girl today so Im gonna use mine since I dont want momma getting mad if she has 40 bites on her LOL

this will be my firt time using it.. I can normally handle them but I dont want them feasting on my kid. We havent had rain here in a month but the skeeters are out in full force still!!
deerman

Post by deerman »

I would bet that most hunters have more body scent in the air than any Thermocell would give off. I always shower with scent control soap before hunting and wear scent lock from head to toe. The pain meds that I take make me sweat very easy, so I haven't hit the woods yet this year. Opener was 10-01. I dont need to educate the deer any more than they are with sweat driping off me. I am more than ready to hit the woods when it cools. I have never missed the opener, but I did this year. :x
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I used mine today and it worked great! No skeeters came close!!!

I had one doe come up to us but she stayed at 50 yards so I didnt have a close range smell test lol. But I would think after about 20ft this stuff just evaporates so much it probably isnt noticable
ga_Game_hunter

Post by ga_Game_hunter »

It's simple really. If you want to get eaten up by bugs then do not buy or use a Thermacell. I've read hundreds of posts saying people were using one and still had deer come within 10 feet. I for one will never leave home without it.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I've got to try one of those things ... our mosquitos are ferocious and plentiful ... not as bad this year as most, since it's so dry.

Sounds like the ol' BugTamer suit and a ThermaCell would be an unbeatable combo! 8)
Grizz
frydaddy

The best

Post by frydaddy »

:D :D The greatest invition in the history of man. Well it's number two anyway. Everyone sould have one. And i think the deer wise thay could buy one. :lol: :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I've got to try one of those things ... our mosquitos are ferocious and plentiful ... not as bad this year as most, since it's so dry.

Sounds like the ol' BugTamer suit and a ThermaCell would be an unbeatable combo! 8)
get one grizz;) I only got it to use on hot days since most of the season is cool and they stay away LOL

It has a smell, but its from the cartridge and its not that normal big smelly spray type either.. I know it kept us bug free yesterday which was a plus since my lil girl was with me
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: Id rather leave home without my range finder than my Thermocell! :wink: Bramtpon Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!