Who turned on the fire hose?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Who turned on the fire hose?

Post by chris4570 »

Well what started off as a pleasant morning, sitting in a tree, became rather stormy. Had to get out of my treestand as the lighting strikes were getting closer and closer. I got down just in time to put on my goretex pants and waterproof hunting jacket. No sooner had I put my boots back on did the sky open up. I used the opportunity to do a little still hunting/scouting but it wasn't long before I had to call it quits. Even with my waterproof clothing I managed to get decently wet.

On the bright side I did find some more rubs while scouting, and gained some permission on the way home.

Will be back out in a couple hours.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I didn't have my rain gear, but welcomed the downpour. Cooled off the air and me too!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I was up late last night with friends and got to bed at 3:30 a.m. so I wasn't at all tempted to go out in the woods this morning. Waking to the sound of thunder and pouring rain made me quite content to roll back over and catch another few winks. :lol: Before I drifted back off to sleep I thought about all those who got up early and were sitting in trees in this weather... :lol:

Was hoping that the storm would end the warm spell but it hasn't. It's still hot out. Here's hoping that the cooler weather arrives soon!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

What is "rain," anyway? Seems like I remember something called "rain" around here ... :wink:
Grizz
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

It was beautiful! I was at silverdale rifle range sighting the rifles for moose next weekend and we got rained out!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Grizzly Adam wrote:What is "rain," anyway? Seems like I remember something called "rain" around here ... :wink:
No Kid'n
I got soaked opening day, but it wasn't from rain
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Beautiful evening hunt yesterday. A young doe hung around my tree for most of the 1.5 hours I was there. Too young and too small.

Today made no sense with thunder and lightening and a metal tree stand. We need this rain to green the wheat and spelt fields. Great feed in November.

Tomorrow is another day with tons of stand that work best in a easterly wind.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Kendo Kid,

Usually I love an east wind. The area where I have seen the most bucks in the past years has been a spot that only works on an east wind. This year I have sat there twice and the area seems void of life, not even a squirrel. And no water anywere to be found. I'm certain the deer are hanging near any water source. Gotta get asking permission to hunt some properties with good watering holes :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

These rains will help. But you have hit the nail on the head. Water has been a higher priority than feed this year.

These rains will help bring the wheat along. November is always a good time to seek doe groups (and thus bucks) in winter wheat or spelt fields.

Good luck.
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

We would normally have wheat on our farm this year, planted in early November ... but if it doesn't rain some between now and then, it's not going to be any use to plant. We are DRY DRY DRY! :cry:
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

We had a beautiful long awaited rain on Saturday morning and then another in the afternoon which put a good eating sized doe on the move and in the path of my muzzleloader. The shot was 180 yards which I had been practicing for my VA trip. We finally got some meat.
Image[img]
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

way to go ray!!!!!!!!!!

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

We cut the backstraps into small butterfly cuts and smacked em a few times with the tenderizer. I have them soaking in italian dressing and will put them bad boys on the grill tomorrow night when we get back from hunting. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray