Knives

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cubb

Post by cubb »

For the guys who use the warthog system, do you use any other touch up stones? Or is this the only thing you use on your knives?
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

I use a Mino sharp Med and a ex-fine water stone for about all of my cooking and other knifes.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=303631
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

cubb wrote:For the guys who use the warthog system, do you use any other touch up stones? Or is this the only thing you use on your knives?
I have never found the need to use any touch up system. Blade is ready to rock after three to five passes through the hog. Its fast, its easy and the bevel is the same every time and all the time.

I was horrible at sharpening knives before I bought the warthog. I was hog hunting in Florida when I first saw it in action. There was a guy that was a butcher at a large grocery store who moonlighted in the evenings processing hogs and we would take several over to him every evening. He and his sons had hog processing down to a science. They had two knives they would use and after each hog was complete they would hand you the knife they just used and ask you to run it through the warthog a few times. The first time the guy said that to me I told him I would rather not as I was horrible at sharpening knives and didn't want to ruin his. He said you cant hurt it that the sharpener was foolproof. And he was right. I handed him back a razor sharp knife and vowed to buy one immediately when I got home.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Mike P . . .which grit works best for hunting knives?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have the V sharp black, the least expensive one. I just use the 325 grit diamond hones that came with it and the angle is set at 25 degrees.
exohuntr

Post by exohuntr »

I have the same one as Mike, and never needed to touch up my blade. This sharpener is worth every penny of the $90 I paid. I run my pocket knife through it once a week for 10-12 strokes and it is always razor sharp. Hunting knives go through before and after every deer.
cubb

Post by cubb »

So it sounds like this is the system i need to get? Is it that much better than a lansky?
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Mike P

That does look like an interesting device.

How well does it sharpen a blade near the hilt? The picture suggested to me that a short bladed knife would be difficult to sharpen and a long bladed knife would be difficult to sharpen near the hilt?

Am I mistaken?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.