how far?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ratherbefishin

how far?

Post by ratherbefishin »

The primary deer rut will begin in earnest in the next couple of weeks in my area-and I hope to take my first blacktail with my new exomax.Given a broadside double lung shot-how far would a deer be reasonably expected to go after the hit?[given the usual 1/2 hour wait before followup]
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Anywhere from just a few yds. to 75. I have had them pile up right on being hit and other times go the 75 yds. or in between.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Yep, about 75 yards is the farthest I've had one go. Many don't make it that far. About half don't seem to make it out of sight. I have noticed that if you hit any of the shoulder bone they tend to move out quicker and thus make it a little farther. In those cases I've had them make it 150 yards. Trailing them is still not too bad with plenty of blood.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it all depend son how rattled he is after or during the shot.. he may walk a few feet and drop, or he could sprint and end up 150 yards away.. the norm would be 50-75 yards if he isnt spooked to much
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree with Crazyfarmer . . .they will hide, lay down and die, unless they are pushed. That's why it's best to wait an hour . . .unless weather conditions do not allow or you saw/heard it crash. I had a deer travel over 50 yards after a heart shot . . .from my .270. Of course, that's only a couple of leaps. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen