Aiming point for deer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ronster

Aiming point for deer.

Post by Ronster »

Should I aim low to allow for the deer jumping the string? Deer seem to crouch a few inches before they jump. My Phoenix is quite loud compared to my verticle bow. I think the extra noise makes them jump a little more when I shoot.
brokebow

Post by brokebow »

I think that it depends on how far the deer is from you,yes it is louder,but faster,my personal thought,15yards, shoot where you are aming,at 30 yards,you might want to shoot a little low,but at 30 yards,personaly I wouldn't shoot unless it was a great shot. it is your choice.I would let them walk before I would wound one and never find them. Even though I can hit a tennis ball at 30yards,the choice is yours.
Jerry
Ronster

Post by Ronster »

LimbSaver makes a crossbow kit. I've already bought a pair of the Super LimbSavers to mount on the limbs. I'll see if that quiets things. :D
widowman

Post by widowman »

Personally I like to aim for the center of the kill zone, not matter what angle.

I believe that this allows for the greatest margin of error.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

widowman wrote:Personally I like to aim for the center of the kill zone, not matter what angle.

I believe that this allows for the greatest margin of error.
DITTO..

Aim for what you want to hint..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I carefully practice from my stands and mentally record the results for the necessary amount of hold over/under necessary for a perfect hit.
Then when a deer appears I forget it all and aim where I want the arrow to go. :oops: :lol:
As long as the deer is within reasonable range it doesn't really matter. At 15 yards an arrow hitting 1/2" high isn't a real problem!
With a crossbow that shoots in the 300fps range string jump isn't much of a concern at 30 yards or less in my experience. Last one I missed at 31 yards I put the 20 yard crosshair on top of the heart (and the 30 yard crosshair was right under her belly).
The arrow passed right under her belly without drawing blood. Image
wabi
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Thats a good post Woody.
Thanks
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family