Spooked Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MG

Spooked Buck

Post by MG »

Bout a week ago I was walking into my stand, and just as i was approaching my tree a real good buck bolted out from behind some brush about 30 yards away. It was an amazing deer, i definatly think it saw me, needless to say he was spooked. What do you guys think the chances of me seeing this buck again are? Even in the general area?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Very good chance, as yer in his travel route.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. He will be back.
MG

Let me introduce myself...

Post by MG »

Thanks guys I've been pretty upset he was a real good deer and although I've been out twice since and havent seen him I think he will be back.
I suppose I should introduce myself. I hunt in Bowmanville, southern Ontario and just bought a phoenix with the scope kit, it's great. I've been hunting deer for three years, this my first with a bow, and shot my first deer in Bancroft last november. He was a small 8 pointer. This forum is great, its awesome to hear from other bowhunters. I look forward to reading about everyone's year, thanks and good luck to all.
tracer

Post by tracer »

Welcome aboard! The boys are right, don't panick he will be back.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

he may be back but he will be more careful
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome To The Forum. You Are Right Everyone On This Forum Are Friendly, Thoughtful, And Very Helpful :D
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Kenton wrote:he may be back but he will be more careful
I always count to ten and think about my position before I write anything here in the forum that may be at odds with the forum population. I have counted to ten about ten times before writing this so fellow forum members please be patient with me.

I agree with the statement above from Kenton. If indeed he is a good buck, a buck of four years of age or more, he may be back or he may not. It has been my experience that bucks of this age and certainly those that are older will not return during shooting hours to a stand area where you have been busted. This does not mean he will not return during the rut if he is following a doe.

It is not all bad news however, the fact that you now know of his existence in your area is a good thing. The game now is to try and outwit him. What happened to you has happened to me countless times. When it does happen, I immediately abandon that stand location and start scouting. I try to determine where the buck was coming from and where he was going. You didn't mention if it was morning or evening when he busted you. If it was morning, he was probably heading to his bedding area. If it was evening, he was probably heading to his feeding area.

Try some scouting and see if you can figure out where these two areas are and set up on him again on a probable route to either.

I still believe the best chance to harvest a mature buck is the very first time you hunt a stand location.
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Watch the Does,,,,, The Buck like most men have certain things on the brain at certain times,,,, I missed a good buck last year with my vert. bow and I shot a smaller buck that was with him on a different day,,, This punk was chasing does all over my back yard (the ridge) during that time of the year,, I seen him 7 different times and 5 of them he was chasing does,,,, I know where I will be in a few weeks.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Kenton wrote:he may be back but he will be more careful
I agree.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS