First Buck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigUgly

First Buck

Post by BigUgly »

Well after many years of deer hunting 22 to be exact it finally happened. The jinx is broken I took my first buck tonight. Not a huge trophy buck by any means but I couldn't be any more thrilled. Was one of those last minute hunts too. The kids had swimming lessons tonight and it wasn't even on my mind to go hunting but when I got home my Dad called and asked if I wanted to go out Mom would take the boys. I knew exactly where to go. We have a spot that requires an east wind for a perfect hunt so away we went. We were in stand by 3:30. Truthfully I wasn't really into it as I had been in meetings the last three days and I was sick of sitting around. I did a bunch of calling, rattling, grunting and doe bleats just to occupy myself more than anything. Then at 5:50 it started to drizzle and I debated on calling off the hunt but thought what have we got to lose as it wasn't raining to hard. At 6:05 I hear something coming, couldn't believe it a Buck but it was moving I started to grunt and he stopped about 60 yards away and looked back but not at me. I redirect my attention to where he was looking and see another buck coming. I grunt at him he stops, I look through the scope and all I see is rack, I tell myself to pick a spot and THWACK. Watch him go into some tall grass and look back to the other guy and he's now only 30 yards away I recock the xbow and get my sights on him. I think of all the moose in the fridge and decide it's his lucky day, and let him walk.
The only thing that could make it better is if my son was with me but that will come.
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Congrats . I'm still waiting on my first and I been at it 30 years ! But have loved every minute in the woods . Nothing like the sun coming up thru the trees. Morning mist drifting thru the pines . Nothing like it.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Looks like a good one. Big congrats.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

Don't wait that long for the next one ! LOL After the first one it gets easier. Congrats.
huntman

Post by huntman »

Great Story and Nice Buck congrats on a succesfull hunt!! :D :!: :!:
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Forgot to mention he's a 7 point if you include one point that's only about 1 1/2 inch. If not it's a 6 point which is just great.
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats big ugly

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sweeeeet ! .... Congrat's on your first buck !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congratulations . . .that's a nice buck! Much better than my first buck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Good Job :!: :!: Very Nice Deer { Isn't Hunting GREAT You Just Never Know What Will Happen On Any Given Day }
tracer

Post by tracer »

Congrat's on your first buck. Nice one.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Quickshot

Post by Quickshot »

Hey BU congrats man, it's about time :lol: I saw the call on the phone this morning and wondered if that was the call. Anyway great looking deer and a great shot. Your weekend at work won't be so long now.
enjoy the woods
Doug
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Way to go , nice buck !! :D Good things come to those that wait . :wink: :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on getting that nice Buck, hope it doesn't take near as long fer yer next one.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mike P

Re: First Buck

Post by Mike P »

BigUgly wrote: Not a huge trophy buck by any means
I think your 100% wrong! I think it is a huge trophy. Your first buck is one that is never forgotten. I have killed so many B&C and P&Y bucks that after a while they all seem to run together. But the buck I killed while hunting with my father in 1962 is as fresh in my mind today as the day it happened.

Your first buck is a trophy that brings a lifetime of memories and enjoyment and I thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.