Tyler and Ray score again!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Tyler and Ray score again!

Post by raydaughety »

Tyler and I killed a weird racked 7 point today. We just got home and it's after midnight and I'm pooped. Story and pics will be posted in the am.

CONTINUED:

OK, After some much needed sleep and coffee, I think we're gonna survive. It was a great day in the field. Tyler and I saw 31 deer, 8 bears, a rattle snake, and 4 water moccasins. As most of you know, here in the southeast, running hounds as a method of hunting has been a family tradition for generations. Tyler and I were in a swamp that is usually full of water but only had a little branch running through it because of the drought. We saw and eliminated 4 moccasins. Here's the big one:

Anyhow, Tyler and I were hunkered down in a old dead fall chit chatting when off in the distance, we could here the hounds getting closer by the minutes. By the way that they were running, I knew that the deer was skirting down the branch, coming our way. The problem was the wind was blowing our scent right down the branch towards where the hounds were coming from. Tyler told me that he had a bottle of scent shield in his back pack so we quickly sprayed down as the hounds were getting closer and closer. I finally spotted the buck. He was a long way ahead of the dogs sneaking up the branch, coming right to us. I got Tyler in a position where he could get a good shot at the deer as he approached. I honestly had no intention on shooting the buck unless Tyler missed. We were both shooting our shotguns loaded loaded with buckshot. The buck was about 65 -70 yards away when he slammed on the brakes, stuck his nose out ( he had obviously smelled us ) and suddenly bolted to our right and when he came by us @ 60 yards he was flying. I told Tyler to shoot, the first 2 shots from his remington 1100 20 gauge, hit behind the deer. I told Tyler that he was shooting behind him. Things weren't looking good at all so I started spanking him with my 1100 loaded with 3" mag, 00 buckshot. The first shot was a good hit but he got right back on his feet but wasn't running as fast. Tyler's next shot was also a good hit and you could see that he was getting closer to the ground all the time. I think that we both shot one more time as he entered a thicker area. A couple of minutes later, the hounds came by, barking for every breath. When they got into the thick area, they hushed and I knew what this meant :D . The dogs began to filter back out, trying to figure out where the deer went. Tyler and I walked over and I told him to look for blood. He said, "why, he's laying right there" we approached the deer cautiously but he was through. Tyler was extremely excited and so was I. We called my uncle for help and within 45, we had plenty of help to drag him to the truck. His rack is very narrow so we're going to enter him as a doe. Here's a pic of him.

God Bless,
Last edited by raydaughety on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Congrats Tyler and Ray, looking forward to the pictures.
Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
saxman

Post by saxman »

Way to go you two.
Can't wait for the story and Pic's.
CONGRATS!!!!!
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was that the last deer in North Carolina? At the rate you two are dropping them they may be listed as endangered by next year! :shock:
(At least in BIG DANGER when you two are hunting) :lol: :lol:
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

Man, who showed Tyler how to shoot :D
Way to go little Big Hunter.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Congrats! You two are just a deer hunting MACHINE!!! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Wat to go.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Congrats!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Way to go guys!!!
I am surprised that your gun season has allready started. With all of the snakes you guys have down there, do you worry about losing dogs to them?
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

LV2HNT, the only hound than I know of was killed by a rattlesnake that entered the dog pen in my cousin's back yard and bit him on the face. The 4 snake that Tyler and I killed Saturday were within 50 yards of one another. I'm not sure if moccasins den up like rattler's do but if they do, we put a big dent in their nest. Two of them were huge as you can see in the picture. Personally, I've never seen a moccasin that big in my life but just looking at them made me sick to my stomach. The 2 big one were together and it felt like we were watching a horror show or something. I bought 2 pairs of snake chaps yesterday and am having Tyler's pair hemmed today at a boat canvas place. If He were to take a hit from a snake that big, I don't think his snake boots would be tall enough to protect him.

Total cost of 2 pairs of full length snake chaps = 140.00

Seamstress charge for Tyler's chaps = 60.00

Tyler's well being and safety = PRICELESS :D

God Bless you all and be careful out there,
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
diesel

Post by diesel »

Congrats to you both. :D
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Ya'll are put'n a hurt'n on all those deer,,,,, Congrats
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

thats the way to do it!!!!!

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
marmot

Post by marmot »

Congratulations!

As an aside: man, do you have a long firearms season! There is zero advantage to hunting with archery tackle in your neck of the woods. We have a two-week-long firearms season. Archery hunters can hunt deer from 9/15 through 1/31.