Roughing it - don't want to waste anything

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Roughing it - don't want to waste anything

Post by wabi »

So I took some of the old tough meat from along the back of the deer I killed Friday and tried to make it edible (carefully sliced across the "grain" this morning into 1/4" thick slices when we butchered the deer).
Browned it in the old cast iron skillet then dumped in a can of "golden mushroom" soup and some water and let it simmer on low heat for a while.
While that was cooking I made up a batch of biscuits.
Served it up with hot biscuits, a cheese tray, and some hot coffee (pop for Michael) for lunch, and my gracious wife and son never even muttered a complaint about having to eat the dead animals I drag home. :lol: :lol:

I know - we could have gone to McDonalds and had some real food :roll: but I just hate to waste anything, so we force ourselves to smile as we nibble a few bites of wild game to be polite.

BTW - I need a bigger cast iron skillet I think. The 10" one piled full of deer meat barely makes enough for the three of us. :shock:
wabi
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

Do you take the bones and make stock form them ?
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sounds delish-eee-ous!!

I often cut older meat up, brown it in a little butter, with onions & garlic, then add some red wine, and a can of cream of mushroom soup, let it simmer for bit. At the table it's "more deer please". :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

OHHHH!!

You just made my mouth water...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
saxman

Post by saxman »

OK,Thats it,I'm thawing out some Michigan Back Strap RIGHT NOW.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

Brainiac wrote:Do you take the bones and make stock form them ?
No, my friend who does the processing uses them for his coyote "bait stations". Another friend wants the hides so he can have them tanned. None of it really goes to waste (as in going in a dumpster) but the "bounty" is usually shared.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Sounds tasty. I found that venison needs to be cooked over low heat and just long enough to leave it pink in the middle to prevent it from being tough.
I smoked the whole shoulders then finish them slow wrapped in foil and BBQ sauce. Took some for my deer hunting buddy while still warm. His venison disliking wife wanted to know what it was. I told her "wood veal." She tried it and actually liked it but wated to know what wood veal is. Told her it would be veal if it was'nt venison. Then she didn't liked it.
I use everything too. Neck bones, browned and lots of vegies, makes great barley soup. Shanks cooked slow with wine, wild mushrooms and spices come out just like veal. Even form the trimmings into balls, wrap with plastic bags and freeze to feed to the woodkeckrs.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

This thread is making me hungry!
:lol:
Gotta get out and hunt!!!! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.