Baiting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vrodman

Baiting?

Post by vrodman »

Do you guys/gals bait? Here in Va. it's illegal but so is speeding.
fletch

Post by fletch »

Here in Ont. it is legal so yes I bait sometimes but not always.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

On public land it's illegal in Louisiana, so I don't do it. When I hunt private land I use bait sometimes.
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

Here its illegal public or private. I'm curious as to who can or cannot bait in various states or countries.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I grew up hunting deep woods deer and baiting them with apples. I have tried it around here with little success. Too many food crops to get them to care about a small pile of corn. I actually find it much more enjoyable to try to pattern them and take More homework on my part, but it's more rewarding in the end.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I don't bait. It's legal here, but somehow doesn't sit right with me. I do toss my apples cores out the window of my blind though! :lol
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have baited here in Ontario and in Michigan withe mixed results .
Iglooman

Baiting

Post by Iglooman »

I find it more satisfying having the deer come to you naturally - the only thing I use is anytype of scent blocker - I look at my surrounding and camo myself to blend right in. I had a laugh last year since someone with one of those atv was coming towards me (to my side) and I decided to get up from the ground - you should have seen the look of his face when he saw the ground just get up and wave. :D This year I had a doe come within 5 yards of me I had her in my scope but just let here go her merry way (didn't have a doe tag at that time)

Hunting is not about getting a good rack but having a good time hunting - I will be going out this afternoon in WMU 88
Exomag
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I use bait(mostly apples) on my little chunk of land(few acres). The deer don't come through here naturally, so I have no choice.

I just got permission to some large acreage(380 acres), so my plan is some serious scouting. I think I've already located a natural funnel there on google earth. It runs between a hay field and a large creek. :) Gonna hang a stand this weekend.

Jay
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Baiting here is legal the same as bear.I look upon it as just another form of hunting the same as running dogs,rifle or chucking a spear .I have done it and will still do it but don`t expect to see much for big buck activity late in the season .But during the rut where there is does there is always the possiblity of bucks .Think of it as another sexual attractant but with the real thing .
KBARKSDALE

Baiting

Post by KBARKSDALE »

Baiting is illegal here in Alabama so I so not do it, but you can find stacks of 50lb sacks of deer corn in every sporting goods store along with all of the deer lures like C'Mere Deer and it all sells out. We suffer from a lack of enough game wardens to enforce the laws.

When I lived in Texas over 30 years ago, it was legal to bait and everyone used feeders, including me.

KBarksdale
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

we use feeders for deer & turkey here in kansas .

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
kevin

Post by kevin »

it's legal here. I walk to far to carry feed sacks. I think it works if you start feeding in july-august and keep feeding through the season. Probably good when you get snow also late in the season.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

In NC, you can bait up to two weeks before you hunt..
hawg hunter

Baiting

Post by hawg hunter »

Here in Texas we use every kind of bait you can throw. I run feeders the year round. Most of the feeders have amixture of soy beans and corn. When spring turkey comes we feed basically chicken scratch. The big ranches feed high protein pellets. Deer hunting is big business in Texas .Food plots are starting to catch on in The smaller ranches most have started to plant 10% of there tillable soil in food plots that grow year round.