Decoys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

Decoys

Post by fuel80guy »

Id like some feedback on decoys.I used a doe decoy last night and had a doe look at it from 200 yards away and she didnt even bother with it.My question is has anybody here ever used 2 decoys?
Ive read numerous articles on decoying deer but ive never seen anything in regards to multiple decoys being used.
My opinion or guess would be that during the chasing/prerut period this combo would be deadly.
poordave

multiple decoys

Post by poordave »

I've used 1-6 Renzo decoys. I've had different reactions each time. I had a decent buck stop & stare from a measured 168 yds. I had young bucks going in circles from 25 yds when I use the buck decoy. I put the doe decoys closer to my tree stand when using archery equipment. When using the rifle or shotgun it doesn't matter much. The main thing is that most deer will stop & give you a chance to decide your next action. I use the buck decoy alone & during the rut. MAYBE some deer scents will work when the deer are close. I also use a Blue Heron when hunting Va around water. Hopes this helps you out. Dave
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My husband & I both started using Renzos last year - the doe decoy didn't do anything for does, but it seems to interest bucks. I've found it handy in combination with calls as deer will look directly at where you're calling from but once they spot the decoy their attention goes to that instead of you. This year I tried a buck decoy once so far, no luck yet.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Never had luck with a doe decoy before. Also never had a doe come up to any of the decoys before. I did however have a cheap delta foam deer for target shooting that I brought out and used as a decoy. I only used 1 antler and I had a few bucks come out of no-where to check it out. The idea behind only using 1 antler is a buck will circle around and come into the non-antler side (less threatening). I also had a small spike come up to it and touch noses with it. Most times there a little skitish when investigating, circling around and what not. Ended up getting stolen from a private farm i hunt on :evil: Can't wait till I can afford 1, I will be looking into the the carry-lite decoy or the soft foam delta decoy. Cant find anyone around with the deltas though.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Note doe decoy in the background. It was the last date this buck tried to make. :shock: Seriously though, had a hard time getting this buck within range. Once he spotted the decoy he trotted right in and right past me at 20 yards.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I just bought the carry lite decoy and man this thing looks real.. you probably dont see anyone use more than 1 decoy since its enough trouble to set one up :lol:
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My hunting partner has had deer come right up to the decoy and knock it over . I am going to try it this week myself .
Dunn14

Post by Dunn14 »

I have also been thinking of using my decoy.
it is one where the legs are together i have used for target shooting.
will this spook the deer or will they notice??? :?
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I use the ready doe decoy by Flambeau. Have had one good hunt with it where a small buck came up to the decoy and I shot it. The buck ran away and 20 minutes later another buck came right up to the decoy. This was only the second time I have had a deer come to the decoy in 3 years of hunting with it. Hope this helps.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded