two questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

slayer

two questions

Post by slayer »

first-- Do you find a large difference in POI between field points and the wasp (100) that comes in the package? My POI with the boardhead is 10 inches low a 3 inches right!!

second-- do any of you guys us mechanical, if so what type? POI differnce from a broadhead? and any premature opennings?

Thank you for the answers

Slayer
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I posted this on another thread, but, here you go . . .

Just got done testing the Slick Tricks and the Wasps . . .here is what I found.

Both flew erractically using a straight fletching. Sometimes a bolt would dip like crazy just prior to impact and land 8" low at 30 yards. However, most were within 5" at 30 yards and within 3" at 20 yards.

Using the 4 degree offset . . .both gave me 2" groups up to 40 yards. I did not test 50 yards . . .ran out of time. However, the way they were flying, I feel fairly confident they would still group well at 50.

I also tested lining up the fletching with the blades with the Wasps. This didn't really have much effect either way. I tried lining the Slick Tricks in the 3,6,9, and 12 positions and again, not a lot of difference. The big difference was the off-set.

All yardages were verified with my Nikon rangefinder. I used the same 4 bolts that were pre-shot with field tips and were shooting "lights-out" up to 50 yards prior to testing the broadheads. I did not "zero in the scope" for the switch from field points to broadheads. However, I did test the scope to insure accuracy with field tips prior to the test. Also, the grouping information was how close they came to my aiming point, not just their groups . . .a real measure to "shooting like field points".

Based on this testing . . .the 4 degree-off set is the key. I'm not sure how the Right-stuff Package is set as far as off-set goes.

End of message from other thread . . .I edited some for reference reasons, guess that's OK since I wrote the orginial. :D

To use your Wasps and be accurate, then you definitely need at least a 4 degree off-set. Another note . . .the only straight fletchings I have are bolts with 4" vanes. The best accuracy I got today was from 2" Blazer vanes. I would also line up the blades with the vanes, they flew slightly better, but, not a major improvement.

Now to your question about mechanicals. I have shot several mechanicals and they have worked perfectly. However, one member here doubled banded a mechanical and it didn't open. I have never double banded. However, folks have had them open prior to impact. For these reasons, I am looking into using either the NAP Spitfires or the Simmons Innerloc. Neither use a band. I've seen really good reviews on the Spitfires, but, I have some here to test and the blades seem a little shakey. I've only shot them a couple of times and so far, so good. I have also read a couple of great reviews on the Innerlocs . . .I think they show some real promise. However, I've yet to find anyone that is shooting the Innerlocs. Several folks here using the Rage, however, they use O-rings and can be a chore to keep the O-ring just right. I want a broadhead that I can take out of the wrapper and throw on my bolt without doing anything else and fire away with confidence. The mechanicals fly like field tips because, they are basically, field tips. They have definite advantages over the fixed blades . . .if they operate correctly.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout . . .you would think, right?

One more thing . . .in my original Right Stuff Package, I had two Wasps that the tips were cut slightly off-center. The spin test exposed this flaw(thanks bstout). Anyway, first time I shot one with a flaw, I had the same amount of error . . .ten inches low and to the left. Almost missed the target completely.

I guess there could be a hundred things wrong . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Used Wasp Jak-Hammer SSTs until Friday Oct. 19th of this year.
I had no problems with my old Vixen & JakHammers but when I switched to an Exocet (175#) and later to a Phoenix I did have problems with them occassionally opening in flight when single banded. I did a lot of testing on targets and decided to double band them for hunting. Shot several deer over a period of a few years and they worked peffectly until I shot a button buck the 19th. Luckily I made a very good shot and put it through his heart, because the blades were still closed with the bands in place when I recovered the arrow!!!!!!!
Luckily I have several G-5 Montecs and am now hunting with them. Out of my Phoenix with 2215s fletched with 2" Blazer vanes @ 4° offset they group right with field points. Slick Tricks also shoot well, but I have to use an 8° fletch to get them with field points. With 4° fletching they hit about 1½" low left @ 20 yards when sighted in with field points.
wabi
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

For me The 100 grain spitfires are the show,,, I tried shoot'n the Slick tricks and they did fly alright I just couldn't get them in the same hole as the previous shot :lol: ,,,, I only had to make a 1/4" adjustment from field tips to the spitfires and I can stack'm for the most part in the same hole shoot'n off a rest 20-40 yards,,,, I had to make a big adjustment when I shot the Slick trick and I had to turn the heads to get the rest of the way in there,I just wasn't happy with the consistency of the shot,I'd have one here and one there in or "around" a 3" dot.

I love the Spitfire. I did kill a 6ptr a few weeks back with the spitfire and six days later I killed a doe with the slick trick.The hole was impressive with the spitfire as well with the slicks. I took a long shot on the 6ptr. and felt confident in make'n the shot and was dead on.I took a 12-15 yard shot on the doe and well the rest is history. Just practice with what ever set-up you go with and have faith in your equipment and shooting. BTW I am shooting a Phoenix and 2216 Easton shafts.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm using 2 broadheads that fly identical to my field points, the WASP Boss 100 3 blade and the Rage 2 blade 100 grain. I also use a 2" blazer vane and brass inserts. Haven't had any problems with the Rages, other than the o-ring issue. I bought the Rages second hand and one package the o-rings were worn so I just bought a dozen from Rage. As long as you ensure the blades are locked prior to loading there hasn't been a issue. Another point, all my broadhead/bolt inconsistancies went away when I switched to the brass inserts, more weight up front (higher FOC).

Rich
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The factory Lazer II Excal bolts produced acceptable results with field tips and BHs ... but to diffferent points of impact. Went to 110 gr brass inserts and 2" fletching and not only did accuracy improve substantially but so did uniformity. I think the 110 gr insert is key. Without it the Blazers helped but the BH still steered the bolt. Once the FOC was cahnged by installing the inserts the bolts fly like darts. Slick Tricks were used throughout.
slayer

Post by slayer »

Thanks everyone for your advise.
Sumner4991, I found a bolt with an offset (don't know how much) that the gentleman gave me when I purchased my exomax. It shot dead on at 20 with a field point, I put the same broadhead on that was giving me headaches and it hit 3 inches low/left at 20. I changed boadheads as that one I was using seemed to have a small imperfection on the point. The new broadhead hit the same hole as the field point 3 times in a row. So my problem apparently was the result of the straight fletching.

Maybe somebody should let excalibur know!

Thanks again

Slayer