Deer accidents spike . . .pun?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Deer accidents spike . . .pun?

Post by sumner4991 »

Interesting news clip on Yahoo about deer accidents . . .

Fall Leads To Spike In Deer-Related Accidents

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/248.0/ ... cl=4760206
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Yea, once the rut is on, LOOK OUT!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Last Tuesday on the way back from my processor picking up my buck I had a doe broadside me. The deer actually ran into the side of my car. I had my drivers window open and its nose came through the window. The door pillar was dented by the snout as I was doing 55mph at the time. It also impacted hard on the back door glass and frame. All in all about $1700 US damage because it will need a new door. I guess is could have been a lot worse. The buck my wife hit cost $3700 US to fix.

Its karma. With the luck I've had this season the deer are just trying to get even. :)

I didn't know a deer's nose had that much snot in it. :lol:
MG

Post by MG »

I saw a decent buck killed on the 401 this morning its a shame that deer probably went to waste
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

Story on the Kitchener news tonight saying that 12, if I recall right, deer a day have been hit locally over the last couple of weeks.

The story went on to say that this number will increase due to breeding and hunters pushing the deer out of the bush.

Personally seen two dead does in the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately it has been too warm and just layed on the side of the road. What a waste.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

We had a good cold spell hit Monday and Tuesday. It got the deer moving. I knew hunting would be good just by driving out to my spot Monday morning because of all of the splatter marks and remains along the highway. :cry:

Duckhunt, Whats your secret man? I want some, whatever it is. First you have great luck hunting. Now they are trying to throw themselves into your open window at 55 miles per hour. You may just want to hide in your house till after the rut if you know whats good for you... I am sorry to hear about the damage but I am glad that you are ok.

Bowster, I would call the news station and give them an ear full if I were you. That is just plain wrong to report that deer colision numbers are up because hunters are pushing them out of the woods. Sounds like they are working for PETA. Deer cross the roads for food, breeding, and cover nothing else. When it gets cold and food sources start to die off, the last ones to go are in valleys and other low lieing places and along roads where the air is warmer. When a hunter scares a deer it runs over to the next ridge or closest thicket. :roll:
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
paulslund

Post by paulslund »

Bowster wrote: The story went on to say that this number will increase due to breeding and hunters pushing the deer out of the bush.
Well..they got it half right. Hunters don't actually push deer out of the bush. There's an old saying that you can push a deer in any direction it wants to go...I somehow have a hard time believing a deer wants to enter into a wide open area (such as a highway) to escape danger.

The OFAH did an interesting segment on this on the Angler and Hunter TV last fall (filmed in Ottawa, actually) because of Ottawa's Deer Wise program (I think a few other cities have the same program) and stressed that deer wander during the rut. As a case in point, they had a buck cross River road near the airport in broad daylight (and it's not a hunting area, either).