NAP Spitfires . . .other musings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

frydaddy . . .yeah, the dawgs had their way with those gators!

What I'm looking for in a bhead is a mechanical with a large cut without a O-ring or a rubber band that's reliable. I still hunt and stalk. That usually gives me a lot of 35-45 yard shots and fewer 30 yards or less. The fixed blades that I currently use are very good at 30 yards or less. However, at the longer yardages, the groups start getting larger. The mechanicals hit dead on . . .I can get 1" groups at 50 yards without any special "tinkering" if the blades do not deploy before contact and they hit where my field points hit.

I might just have to be annoyed with the O-rings and get me some rage bheads.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frydaddy

Broadheads (Go dogs sickem WUFF,WUFF,WUFF)

Post by frydaddy »

:) Well i like wasp jackhammers, large cut dia. but thay got o rings. Have you tryed grim reapers razortip thay don't us o rings. O also aftershock bheads are something you may want check out. Thay have a crossbow bhead, very large cut dia. Thay are very accurate in my compound. Frydaddy :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

frydaddy . . .OK, now I have two more to try, the Grim Reapers Razortip and the Sullivan Industries Innerloc.

Anyone out there tested either of these out of a Exomax? Any crossbow?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frydaddy

well

Post by frydaddy »

:) Well i been in archery 25+ years seen alot, tryed some of it. O i also own a small archery shop and hunting supply store sell excals,compound bows, muzzle loaders, etc. . So if i can help you out just let me know. Frydaddy :)
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

Sumner, I had the same problems with spitfires. In 1998 I started using Rocky Mountain Gator broadheads, I have taken 43 deer with that broadhead and they are awesome. Huge 2in. hole, no O-rings, and foolproof design. The only place you can buy them is through Bass Pro Shops as they have an exclusive on the head.
steven in England

Post by steven in England »

sumner4991
I have been trying the magnum spitfire designed for crossbows. They will not open off the bow and they shoot even better than the normal spitfire as they are shorter and are made of steel. The only down side is they are 1.25 of an inch cutting diameter and they weigh 170 grains. However, if the weight is an issue with brass inserts they are great for aluminium inserts as they add the foc that a brass insert and a 100 grain broadhead would give.
Steven
Steven in England
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

cougar . . .that's exactly what I've been looking for . . .I just hope they can stand the g-forces from the Exomax. I'm going by Bass Pro this weekend, I'll get some if they are in stock. Thanks!

I hit a limb today and it saved a nice doe from the griddle. Three yards in front of the deer and I cut it off nicely. You know, with a mechanical instead of the Slick Trick, I might have missed that limb. . .maybe not. :roll: Anyway, I couldn't find anything . . .deer, blood, nor bolt.

Lots of deer out today. One nice high rack 8-pointer . . .I had him at 26 yards behind a little brush. He started away from me and I hit the doe bleat and he turned around and came back. He wondered around me for a little while, but, never offered a clear shot. I was in the thick stuff today. That old buck wasn't about to show himself until he had a clear picture of the doe in front of him. :lol: Maybe next time, I've seen him before.

There was one more nice buck and a big doe with two little fawns. The one I shot at had another doe with her. I saw them after seeing the bucks. The does came running into the thicket, I waited for 15 minutes before shooting at the doe . . .I was hoping that whatever they were running from would be coming in there with them.

Exciting, but, meatless.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frydaddy

Man O Man

Post by frydaddy »

8) Where are you hunten sumner, public or private? :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's public . . .Cobb County COE property . . .1400 acres, 300 permits via lottery. About 5 folks per day actually hunt.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frydaddy

lucky dog

Post by frydaddy »

:wink: Which one are you at? Is it at L - L archery only COE land? :wink: Or the one below that in the reg. book? :wink:
frydaddy

Thanks

Post by frydaddy »

:) If you ever want to go to sapelo in small game and hunt hogs i be glad to take you show you around. Know that place like the back of my hand. Got 19 foot boat sitten on ready. I also guide gator hunts in zone 5, and zone 7 if ever get a tag. The sapelo trips are for fun not for sale. :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm in the archery only zone.

I may take you up on the hunting frydaddy!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
frydaddy

Hunten

Post by frydaddy »

:D Just say the word, no problem. Mybe you can show me around your neck of the woods. :)
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Summer, the spitfires opened with me also I tried the rage 3 blade and
don't like it. the NAP Shockwave is the best mechanical head that I have tried for a crossbow the band doesn't go around the blades, the blades are square on the bottom and the band goes under them. They will shoot thru the mesh on a doghouse with excellent accuracy.
I have killed bear and deer with them with no problems and you can buy 3 for under $20.00.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
frydaddy

Hay

Post by frydaddy »

:o :) I got some of those i will give them a try. Thanks :)