NAP Spitfires . . .other musings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tomcat

Post by tomcat »

sumner4991 wrote:crazyfarmer . . .I was ready to buy some rage broadheads until I encountered the O-ring issue with them. Is that a big deal or not? I have one here and it flew good the few times I shot it. I ran out of O-rings. Actually, the Scorpions flew like darts too. Never had one open prior to impact and I only used one O-ring.

I would kind of like to get away from bands and rings. However, with mechanicals, there's always something. I guess on these spring loaded heads . . .the springs could weaken and eventually get loose enough to open prior to impact. However, Innerloc claims over a thousand shots before that happens.

Maybe, I just need to tighten the blades a little more on the Spitfires . . .I'm still waiting on a response from NAP. I would have shot more , but, I figured 2 opened out of 6 shots . . .not good.

Would be nice to have a trouble free mechanical. Of course, the fixed broadheads have their issues too if you don't maintain them properly.

Challanges, challanges . . . :lol:

ANYONE USE THE INNERLOCS??

FYI...Iknow this is an old post, but wanted to share what I have learned over the years with these BH's(Spitfires):
1st off...the myth that Spitfire's ever fail to open is pure nonsense, although the issue with blades opening on the shot prematurely is very real, and more likely out of strong Excalibur crossbows which load the arrow very quickly. The issue is simply the acceleration is greater than the force which retains the blade in place...
This is due to several reasons:

1. Putting the spacer in backwards so dimple faces away from blade= minimal resistance.
2. Overtightening the blade screws too tight crushes the resistance dimple on these heads and almost guarantees the blades will open prematurely (especially on Excaliburs) each and every shot following this. Even if you back the screw off, the damage has been done as soon as the blade is closed.. Nothing more than tight enough that they don't back out easily...(I usually run screw into until I feel it contact/make 1st resistance and then go a 1/4 of turn).
4. Everyone knows you can resharpen blades....but you can also "reuse" or modify the retaining spacers by "redimpling" the resistance dimple with a small rounded punch, block of wood and a light tap from a tack hammer.
(This ensures they have the correct ressitance, and eliminates the issue).
NAP reccomends replacing these after every 4-5 shots...but remember that means every 4-5 times they are opened/closed...( I personally think that works for regular compounds, but not fast loading xbows..
I usually redimple all spacers when I assemble them and anytime the head gets opened I check them to ensure they still feel very hard to open w/ fingers..
5. Of course the other way to beat this is simply to use a single dental rubber band, and never have the issue again.

Great flying head..nothing better IMHO. Have to have some KE to shoot it so it's not for everyone despite it's accuracy...and if you are aware of the issues above should have a way to ensure the blades remain closed and accurate with how you tested them along side field points/practice blades..

I have shot these through paper tuning racks and duplicated issue and want to point out that the accuracy is about a 6 inch diff at 20 yds when all 3 come open... sometimes only 1 or 2 come open and then lookout:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

tomcat . . .I agree! I now use the Spitfires in addition to the Stricknines. I love them. I skip down to your #5 . . .problems solved. :) The dental elastics are the answer for any of the front lever action broadheads. The simple lever action type mechanicals only take 10 KE to open. We all have that much to waste. I'm not sure how much additional KE it takes to open the Spitfires or the Innerlocs . . .seems like the spring loaded or the cam loc heads would take more KE to open than a simple elastic. If anyone has that data, please share it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Scott,

I have a friend that I hunt with who has an Exomax and he has been shooting the 2 blade Rage for the last two years without any problems. He has also shot the Grim Reaper as well without any problems.

I haven't had any problems with the 125g Spitfire in my Exocet.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Big D

Rubberbands

Post by Big D »

Tomcat & Sumner great points about spitfires. As I stated before I have taken 25 deer with this head. I feel safe with new retention clips but after that you might be taking a chance. I have never had bad flight with a new head but had some flight problems with used heads that I think opened before impact. I also got the dental bands you recommmended for my used heads. As tomcat stated anyone using spitfires should not tighten the screws to the max. I talked to new archery products and they have them set so the clips hold best. I was told the screws should be slightly less than max if you are changing your blades.
My question is about the rubberbands that I am putting on all my changed blade heads and slightly used heads. They seem really tight;therefore, do you think they will definitly open on impact? Also on what part of the blade are you putting the band on? Are you wrapping around the bottom, middle, other area or does not make a difference?

Thanks guys Big D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Scott,

I have a friend that I hunt with who has an Exomax and he has been shooting the 2 blade Rage for the last two years without any problems. He has also shot the Grim Reaper as well without any problems.

I haven't had any problems with the 125g Spitfire in my Exocet.

Bob
I like several of the current mechanicals and I think they have been getting a bad rap because of the early models. Most of the flaws have been worked out and it's time to give them another try.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big D

Post by Big D »

My question is about the rubberbands that I am putting on all my changed blade heads and slightly used heads. They seem really tight;therefore, do you think they will definitly open on impact? Also on what part of the blade are you putting the band on? Are you wrapping around the bottom, middle, other area or does not make a difference?

Any Feedback?
maple

Post by maple »

I use the 125 grain Spitfires exclusively these days. I like the way they fly. I MAY have had one open in flight, but I MAY have just wavered off target. The deer way down anyhow.

Given the POSSIBILITY of blades opening prematurely, I put one dental band around the blades as far forward as possible, in that concave curve where the blades are thinnest. And yes the do open on contact. My son took a deer last week. Three blades open going in, three blades open coming out.