NAP Spitfires . . .other musings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

NAP Spitfires . . .other musings

Post by sumner4991 »

I finally got to shoot the NAP Spitfires 125 grain. I really like the set-up, a spring is loaded against the blade to hold it secure until the point of impact. The blades seem a little shakey when not in the closed position because there is extra room for the spring in the blade chamber. The blades are snug once in the closed position.

I took six shots from thirty yards. Two opened prior to impact. The first one was eight inches low and slightly to the left. The second one was ten inches low and slightly to the left. The other four shots hit exactly like my field point.

Maybe the Exomax has too much speed for these. I'll have to ask NAP for an explaination. Maybe I got a couple that were flawed.

Anyway, one worked perfectly on both shots. The other two worked perfectly once and opened prior to impact once.

Another note, one opened the first time and stayed closed the second. The other stayed closed the first time and opened the second time.

While I was shooting, I shot the Slick Tricks again after spending most of the day yesterday stripping off straight 4 inch vanes and replacing them with 2" Blazers at a 4 degree off-set. While I was at it, I lined up the vanes with the blades to make them sit at the 3,6,9, and 12 O'clock settings when loaded in my Max. I took 10 shots and grouped within 1" at 30 yards, however they were about 1 inch to the left of my field points. What a difference the 2" Blazers make. :D

One other note . . .the dozen bolts I bought a week or so ago . . .the inserts were not glued. Made lining up the vanes easy, but, I hate losing them in the target. Fortunately, I hadn't lost any. Yes, I glued them in.

Got to go make some Jack-O-Laterns. :twisted:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
kevin

Post by kevin »

I like the little Blazer vanes. The last two years I've used the 2 inch Blazers on 16.5" bolts for the Vixen. I may try the 1.5 Blazers with a mechanical head next.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

sumner4991,, Just to let you know, if the broad head comes out the back side of the target sometimes it will close giving you the impression that it didn't open.Place a piece of paper on the back side of the target and inspect after the shot. I have seen it happen myself and if I can find the video I'll post it for ya. Sounds like your ready for the smack down in the woods good Luck.

http://www.newarchery.com/#/home/
Hope this link works,,Scroll down to the bottom right and click on the Spitfire 100 video it shows it on there just takes a second to get to the close'n part.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

As usual, good findings Sumner!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DoDFire . . .sorry, wrong impression . . .the four shots that did not open prior to impact, did in fact open after impact.

I did send a email to NAP to see what the response would be.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Oopppps,,,,, I can't read today sorry
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
mike41

Post by mike41 »

sumner4991,
First I would want to say I know nothing about tuning bolts, but I'm not sure that i understand your post. You said 2 out of 6 mech b/h didn't work properly for you, but you didn't really seem to be that upset about it. You then mention that you refletched some bolts with 2" blazers and got very good results with them using slick tricks.

What I am unclear about is, why would you not want to go with s/t instead of mech after you seemed to have proven that mech are not as reliable as fix b/h.

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A NEGATIVE POST. I have been reading all the postings I can on b/h because I am thinking about changing bolt set up as well, I have been been reading a lot of about sick tricks, and 2" blazers. Being a novice I am still trying to play catch up, so I can get the best performance out of my cbow, I am not opposed to mech b/h by any means its just that I have read more positive about fix b/h than mech b/h.
(for hunting).

Any input from others is welcomed.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

mike41 . . .what I actually did was shoot 3 broadheads twice each, the NAP Spitfire. I wasn't really upset as much as disappointed. Mainly because I wasn't shooting a deer, just a target.

I love the mechanical broadheads . . .no need to tune the bolts. Just throw them on and they shoot straight into the same hole as your field point . . .IF they do not malfunction.

I have been using the NAP Scorpions, but, after hitting a couple of solid objects, they break awefully easy and did not leave too great of a blood trail. I was looking forward to testing the NAP Spitfires because of the 1.5" cutting blades and NO O-rings or bands.

The only mechanical that I have not tested that does not use O-rings or bands is the Sullivan Industries Innerloc . . .not sure when I'll get to those, but I will.

Anyway, I'm in search of a mechanical that is reliable(out of my Exomax), doesn't have O-rings or rubber bands and I would like a large cut.

The only problem I have with the fixed blade broadheads is having to tune the bolts. Also . . .the tend to find the wind and just aren't as accurate as the mechanicals, especially if you are shooting longer ranges(35-45 yards).
Last edited by sumner4991 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mike41

Post by mike41 »

sumner4991,
Thanks for helping me to understand your post. With me shooting the Phoenix I keep my shots at a max of 30yds. targets only so far.

I'll keep reading the post on b/h set ups and try to learn from them.

I would like to learn how to fletch my own bolts but I don't think I can use my hands good enough to do it.

Will probably buy some custom made bolts, and a Boo string closer to spring.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner, did you try the rage heads yet? They flew exactly like a fieldpt out of my bow out to 40 yards. Upon testing on a shoulder through shoulder hit, I couldnt ask for better results at 25-30 yards out of my exocet. This was through a mature 3-4 year old bucks shoulders also. The head passed through clean and the only damage was a broken blade.

if you havent tested those, give them a try.. I didnt get good groups with my NAP's for some odd reason.. Why they didnt group well for me puzzles me since they should fly well and they do for 90% of everyone else
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazyfarmer . . .I was ready to buy some rage broadheads until I encountered the O-ring issue with them. Is that a big deal or not? I have one here and it flew good the few times I shot it. I ran out of O-rings. Actually, the Scorpions flew like darts too. Never had one open prior to impact and I only used one O-ring.

I would kind of like to get away from bands and rings. However, with mechanicals, there's always something. I guess on these spring loaded heads . . .the springs could weaken and eventually get loose enough to open prior to impact. However, Innerloc claims over a thousand shots before that happens.

Maybe, I just need to tighten the blades a little more on the Spitfires . . .I'm still waiting on a response from NAP. I would have shot more , but, I figured 2 opened out of 6 shots . . .not good.

Would be nice to have a trouble free mechanical. Of course, the fixed broadheads have their issues too if you don't maintain them properly.

Challanges, challanges . . . :lol:

ANYONE USE THE INNERLOCS??

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm with CF on the Rages, I shot 4 deer this year and the all performed well. I only damaged 1 blade and I think it hit a rock in the ground. The issues of blades coming open while walking/taking in/out of quiver was resolved by purchasing a dozen new o-rings. The blood trail on the 7 point I shot was unbelievable, solid stream on the ground for 40 yards.

Rich
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am just curious have you tried or used Tekan II B'Heads.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

smokepolehall wrote:I am just curious have you tried or used Tekan II B'Heads.
I heard those didnt bleed well, but alot of the big name guys use them and swear by them so they must work fine.

sumner, I always just make sure I push the blades down when I load the bolt in the bow. But I always check any head I use when its loaded also;) Other than that, I havent had any o-ring issues with them. Ive used muzzy along with slick tricks and never had a deer bleed like the rage bhead did. Whether I hit something better or not I dunno, but trailing was simple since you didnt have to look down, you could look 15 yards in front of you and trail the blood LOL
frydaddy

Broadheads

Post by frydaddy »

:D Frist I would like to say to my ga. bother ( HOW ABOUT THEM DOGS). I shoot crimson talon hyperspeed xt 100 gr. in my equinox. I don't do much tuning to the bolts besides a spin test when i screw the heads on and thay are very accurate. I just killed a doe last sunday afternoon by shooting her in the neck at 33 yards.I know it was risky but it was the only shot i had. Anyway got the juguler vane and the wind pipe she when 30 yards maybe. You might try a Crimson Talon there accurate and deadly. I get 1" groups at 30 yards. Frydaddy