O/T: The Model 70 Lives Again!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

O/T: The Model 70 Lives Again!

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yes, yes ... I know. This is a crossbow forum. :D

However, if you, like me, refuse to stick to only one type of deer-slaying weapon ... and particularly if you're a rifleman ... I think you'll be interested in this:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article.jsp?ID=55170

Sounds like it's all good news, too.

I'm ever so glad. :D

The passing of the Model 70 was a terrible thing.

Now ... let's have the beloved 94 back too, please! :wink:
Grizz
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Glad to hear it. The Model 70 deserves to live on. I myself own 2 old ones.
A pre 64 swift and a pre war 06 both given to me by my Dad. I will never part with them.
kevin

Post by kevin »

must be make'n them in the FN plant where they make the M16 and 249 L.M. That's good news. I'd expect higher quality rifle from the FN plant compared to the old plant.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
marmot

Post by marmot »

I am glad that they are bringing back the Model 70, but I prefer my Marlin 336C to the Model 94. IMHO, the Marlin is a superior firearm.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

If I had to hunt with one, I'd rather have a Marlin levergun myself ... but I hunt exclusively with bolt actions. Prefer Mauser-types, of course. :D

Sometimes I think I'd like to have a short-barreled .30-30 for woods stalking, though ... with a Ghost Ring peep sight.

The Model 94's place in American history is rock-solid ... that's why I wish they'd bring it back. Sad, sad, sad to see it pass. :cry:
Grizz
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I varmit hunt with a Heavy barrel 220 swift model 70 topped with a 6 X 24 Bausch and Lomb scope . With that gun if you can see it , you can hit it .
Glad to hear they are back, and maybe better than ever .
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

It's good to see the 70 come back. Winchester needed to make a move like this. Myself, I'm kinda stuck on Savage.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My fav. is my Savage 99 in .300. *love*love*love* :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
TYE

Post by TYE »

VixChix wrote:My fav. is my Savage 99 in .300. *love*love*love* :D
KABOOM
TPM

Post by TPM »

I had heard the Model 70 is coming back! The new guns are going to feature a new trigger system that shows a lot of promise. The new Model 70's aren't due to hit the shops until next spring which means you'll be lucky to see them by next fall but I'm sure it will be worth the wait! :D
I think you will eventually see the Model 94 come back also. Interesting to see the Marlin vs. Winchester comments. Kinda reminds me of the Ford vs. Chev arguements. Both are great guns and I've owned and had the opportunity to shoot many of both makes. I have to say the Marlins have a slight edge in accuracy especially the ones with the Micro-Groove barrels. I still prefer the Winchesters myself, lighter and a little more balanced to carry but that' just my personal preference. The Marlins are easier to strip and clean though. I also saw a few Marlins with broken firing pin tips back in the days when I was still dealing. Not a big deal as firing pins were relatively cheap and easy to replace. Seemed to affect the 1950's and early 60's vintage guns.
Then of course there is the Savage Model 99's. They are no doubt my favourite of the lever guns. Great variety of calibers and a smooth as glass action. Mine will be coming out for the last few days of rifle season up in WMU 49 the week after next. Can't wait!!! :D

Spike buck I shot with my Model 99 during 2005 rifle season.

My Model 94.

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

My daddy-in-law has a mint Savage 99 in his collection. Just like all his other guns ... never used. :? But, he's the kind who preserve 'em for posterity, I guess. I wear 'em out!

I'd love to have a Marlin Golden 39A! Have wanted one since I was a boy. Would go good with my Ruger Single Six!

Down here, TPM, we call bucks like that "cowhorns."

We reserve "spike" for those with straight antlers. :D
Grizz