I am stumped guys I need a answer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

I wouldn't think it would change that much. I've never had my POI move more than 1" or so with a string change.
wabi
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

Some info From a couple other members told me that one thing that can change POI on a string change is strand count. A smaller diameter string will impact the nock on the lower half making the POI go up compared to a larger diameter string with a higher strand count hitting more in the center. Are the string diameters the same? Was told this would make it three inches higher at 20 yards.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

My Exocet was shooting 4" high when I pulled it out of the closet. The string was still on the scribed mark on the rail, so it must have been the scope that was off. I checked all the set screws for the scope mount and adjusted the cross hairs. Now she's within an inch every time at 25 yards.

I like to check the accuracy about once a week during the season, for peace of mind.

Sorry to hear you missed the doe, but at least it was a clean miss.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

As the string creeps (stretches..) you are increasing the powerstroke of the bow, the closer it is to the riser the faster it is going to propel the arrow, and in return make it hit higher on the target. Dacron is known for stretching, seems to happen with the blink of an eye with that stuff.
Not saying that is what went wrong, but you really have to keep your eye on Dacron.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DanO

Post by DanO »

The same thing happened to me at the start of the season. My string had stretched about 3/4 of an inch (past the line on the bow) and man did I ever shoot high at 33 yds. As some one else said .... at least it was a clean miss. I had practised with the bow prior but I just assume it would stay status quo over the hunt. NOT SO! :oops:

Now I shoot at least once a week on a target in the backyard.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.