From Pelee Island to Japan ....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

From Pelee Island to Japan ....

Post by R.J. »

Randy S. and I headed to Pelee Island to meet the crew for our 2007 Pheasant hunt ... ( for more details on Pelee check out the link from 2006 below )

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ight=pelee

My dog Sally split her chest open on a jagged rock when she went to retrieve a bird from the lake , within the 1st 2hrs of the hunt , but not before she moved many birds to the gun ..... Lucky one of our Pelee crew is a Vet , he flushed the wound out and stiched the nasty gash up .... But it put her out of the roll call for the duration of the hunt .... So " Spike " was my partner for the rest of the hunt ..... I also gunned over Randy S. and Randy A's dogs .... Our group finished our group total off by the afternoon of the 2nd day , and we had a blast playing cards , telling jokes , catching up , between cleaning birds and hardy meals !

I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do but here are some I did get ...

Parked the truck on the slate rock beach for a shot of the lake as rafts of birds moved by in the background ...

Randy and I took a drive around the evening before the hunt and I snapped pictures of 2 nice cock birds ...

Also Pelee is developing a beauty turkey population ....

I tried to get some flush and shot pictures as the guys worked fence lines between the bean fields .... but only got 1 picture of a hen passing back towards me ....

Another feathered resident ....

Left the Island and travelled to Japan for another work related dispatch ... the skys were cloudy so no ground visable for the duration of the trip ...

Busy week ... but no work this weekend so I headed out of town today , over the bridge past Toyota stadium to hike some farm fileds looking for Photo op's ....

Most fields are inactive , and what farm equipment there is sits idle as the second planting continues to grow ...

Many " Yellow Legs " .... but the Pheasants were scarce ....

Moved to another location, I followed the canal towards the spot where Tom P. and I tried carp fishing ....

Eventually came apon a guy fighting a carp , it wasn't cooperating close to the wall so I jumped down into the drainage and netted it for him .... ( Kazuya Narita and his wife Kimiyo )

He was quite happy I helped and gave me a beauty hand carved sinking minnow lure as a gift .... he makes them himself and air brush paints them as well ...

Headed back towards town and I eventually bumped a cock Pheasant ... only got 1 shot as he flew across the field ....

As I got closer to town I came apon a field of purple and white flowers ....

Also some other small patches of other flowers ...

And of course there are always lots of big spiders around the fields as well ....

That was my " walk about " for today .... Would rather be hunting Whitetails ! .... Will be back at it soon enough though !
Last edited by R.J. on Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
BUCKSHOT

Hello R.J.

Post by BUCKSHOT »

I think that is one of the coolest bridges I've seen yet.
I hope Sally mends wells and is back into the action soon.
I am heading out for a rifle hunt with bj on Monday, we are just going to do some easy meandering and hopefully harvest some big fat freezer meat. We have a doe tag each so in this area the chances are we will do o.k.
Doesn't matter anyway as it is nice to just get out. I don't mind the gun hunting but I prefer it with a small group.
I have some bow hunting tales for you, hopefully we can still hook up when you get home and enjoy the field together.
Have a safe trip and we'll talk to ya' later.

BTW I like the other pic's as well, happy guy, nice flowers, is the bird in the river the Japanese version of a Crane or Blue Heron?
Enjoy the Harvest!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks Frank .... Yep its a white crane ...

Have a good hunt , and tell Wayne I said hello !

If I'm not mistaken , you nailed a buck last year with the rifle , meandering around cutting wood ...

And Sally .... my wife said she is bopping around like she was never hurt !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

Enjoyed the pics R.J. !
wabi
leonk

Post by leonk »

That photo of the truck on the shore. It looks like a commercial,
you should send it to Toyota marketing dept ;-)
Great pheasant shot, but we expect those from you ;-)

LK
frydaddy

Great pics.

Post by frydaddy »

:) Thanks R.J. for some great pics. . You must have had a ball. Frydaddy :)
TYE

Post by TYE »

I was just thinking wow I wish I could go there, till I saw the spider picture! :shock:

R.J. amazing pictures!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great photos, as usual! Always enjoy them ('cept the the spiders) :lol: Glad to hear that Sally is recovering well! Sorry you'll miss this week here, but good that you're able to get back for 2nd rut.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Great pics RJ!! The clarity, colour and composition are really good. Your pics push me to try and make better photos. I think a new camera will also help.

Looking forward to your return. The whitetails are waiting.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

he rj cool looking pics. what strand of turkeys are the developing over in pele. i knew new zealand had turkeys but i didnt know anyone else was doing that.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thank's again all ... Yep ... I'm shivering here thinking of all the buck action I'm missing during this rut !

And of course , if my wife an daughter are reading , missing them as much !! :lol:

Chris : Your Cannon is more than adequate ... you take great shots as well ! .... you have a flair for composition for sure .... keep em coming !

We actually have an excellent compliment of picture takers and story tellers on this forum !

The more pictures we take and stories we post inspires others to do the same .... Man it's great to hear and see field reports from average hunters like ourselve's from all over North America and abroad ....

As for the turkeys on Pelee ...

Wild turkeys are native to Ontario. They were extirpated in the early 1900's through a combination of a decline in the amount of their forest habitat and unregulated hunting. In 1984 the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) teamed up to begin the process of re-introducing this magnificent bird to southern Ontario.

With the co-operation of the MNR, the Wild Turkey Release Program, the Township of Pelee and the Pelee Island Sprortsman's Club, a pilot project to re-introduce the Wild Turkey to Pelee Island began 5 years ago.

Approximately 25 breeding turkeys were released at various points on the island in 2002 which have now expanded to a substantial flock.

2007 was the forth open season for Wild Turkey hunts in WMU 95, Pelee Island.

And yep ..... They have some Monster garden Spiders here in Japan !
Last edited by R.J. on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Added a couple of pictures for my wife and daughter ... from a " walk about " in Nagoya at the outdoor market ...

This pigeon is looking at me like " step away fom the statue , strange looking foreign man ! " ... ( he had lots of back up so I left them alone ! ) :lol: :lol:

Not sure what this dudes fashion statement was supose to be ? He was all camoed out with fake hand grenades , side arm etc. ... and he was packing a couple of killer pooches as well ! :lol: :lol:

Some amazing doggies that actually understand Japanese ! :wink: :lol: :lol:

And last but not least .... this little guy had no bottom teeth and couldn't keep his tounge in his mouth ..... At least that's what they told me ... maybe he just didn't like foreigners ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

R.J.

Very nice photo’s; great quality and composition, as usual.

I was wondering, in your travels to Japan, do you ever hear or see any activity related to shooting?

Apparently it does exist there as shown here;

Some of “the boys” outside the “Komiya Shooting Club” at the bottom of this page;

http://www.gunshop.co.jp/070513.html

A link to a shop;

http://www.gunshop-ooki.com/

Found on this site;

http://www.nurs.or.jp/~odaikan/shooting ... /link.html

Thanks again for posting the photo’s!

All the best. :D
10Ring
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Hello and thanks for the links 10Ring ... how have you been ... What shoot disipline are you in to now adays ... any 3D or Trap ?
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

R.J. wrote:What shoot disipline are you in to now adays ... any 3D or Trap ?
Heavy into the Trap. I am trap chairman at the CSC and we aren't doing too badly, getting a few new shooters whom I make sure are mentored and made to feel at home there.

I passed my 30 year service mark at work last Feb., got to choose my service award; a BT99 :D

3D is inactive here, unfortunately; couldn't pay people to come out now. Funny how interests in this end of the Niagara Region changed so quickly.

I was wondering if you see any evidence of shotgun shooting in Japan :?:

Those links in my other message indicate that it goes on to some degree but I wonder how common it is.
10Ring