Leaving a stand in front of deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay73

Leaving a stand in front of deer

Post by jay73 »

It happened the other night. I didn't want to frighten these 3 does too much, and was waiting for that last minute shot before dark that never happened. Thought I was safe to finally leave my stand, when in walks this doe right under me. :? I was giving her some weird noises out of my grunt tube while I was removing my strap for my harness, just to try to get her to leave. I even took 2 steps down the tree, and she wouldn't go. It wasn't until my tree stand seat fell... "clang!!!" :oops: .....that she took off.

I'm hunting over bait and don't want them looking up to see if I'm there before they come in all the time.

What do you guys do if you have deer in front of you and have to get down?

Jay
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You need to frighten them away, but without showing yourself to be the cause of their fear. You don't want the source of the scare to be something too close to your stand either.

Have a buddy walk to your stand at an appointed time, making an obvious amount of noise -- just enough to make the deer nervous, but not chasing them to the next province. As they hear him coming, they'll move out just ahead of his arrival.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Thanks man, but that's no good for me, as 99% of the time I hunt alone. I figured honking on that grunt would send her flying. :shock:

Jay
frydaddy

Yall so luck

Post by frydaddy »

:) Man if we could hunt over bait in Ga. i could stackem up like cord wood. :)
Well i didn't wake up on the Coolen board.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

j wrote:Thanks man, but that's no good for me, as 99% of the time I hunt alone. I figured honking on that grunt would send her flying. :shock:

Jay
Well, you don't want the scare to her to come from your position, no matter how you do it, or you'll be training her to look up at tree stands. The other thing you might end up doing is train her that that location seemed dangerous, even if she couldn't figure out why.

You want her to get nervous, not scared, and from an EXTERNAL threat.

You could get one of those remote controlled predator calls and have it set up in advance just close enough to be alarming, but not close enough to pose a real threat. That would be expensive, but it should work.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Put a couple rocks in your pocket and toss them when you want to get down throw them away from your stand of course.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

An electronic (hand held) coyote call works for me. A friend who has a stand not far behind his house calls home, the kids come out talking loud. Seems to work for him.
Tigerpaw

Re: Yall so luck

Post by Tigerpaw »

frydaddy wrote::) Man if we could hunt over bait in Ga. i could stackem up like cord wood. :)
Funny I always thought as you until I tried it.
I hunt the bush and tried putting out some apples. Well....the apples keep going but there is not a deer to be seen during daylight hours?? Go figure, eh.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I've always used my grunt tube. Immitate a large buck by doing really deep grunts. I've never had one stick around for more than 3 or 4 grunts. I also grunt while getting down and walking out if a deer was spotted in area.
DanO

Post by DanO »

It's true bait doesn't work all that well. You need to start baiting really early and the bait needs to match what ever forage they are eating. Baiting with apples only works if they are on apples. The best bait will do is make them use a certain run over other possible runs. It's not like baiting bears.
:roll:
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.