how long to wait before tracking?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rutman

Post by rutman »

Remember Tye, 1st Respect your elders
You may be lucky enogh to get old and find out how it is. :wink:
2nd Never say never on the wounded deer, shoot at enough and it's gonna happen. :oops:
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Many years ago I had hunted with a boyfriend. He shot a deer and gave me the choice of going back to get the truck or tracking the deer which had run out of sight. It was in the big wide open of the west so it had run quite a ways. I was afraid of getting his precious truck stuck so I traded my Savage 99 lever action for his .270 semi-auto and headed after the deer. Lots of snow so it was easy to track, but just a tiny bit of blood. After a couple of hours of just pushing the deer around, it finally gave me a view of something besides it's backend so I took a long shot from prone to knock out a front shoulder. That slowed it down enough for me to catch up to it. When I got to it, I saw it was just a yearling or younger. I also found that my b/f had shot it in the lower jaw - it was just hanging there off it's face. :evil: When I went to finish it off the *&*$!@?! semi-auto had seized in the cold. I was just getting ready to use my knife on it when the very-soon-to-be ex-boyfriend showed up with the truck and I could use my Savage. I was cold and numb after over 2 hrs of wading through the prairie snow tracking his deer. The guy just spent the same time in his warm truck and he tells me it's my turn to gut. Needless to say, I didn't gut it, and ended that relationship ASAP. I was "allowed" to keep the jewelry but he took back all the hunting related gifts, including a nice knife and the Savage. Didn't own another until 16 yrs later when my husband gave me his while we were dating. (THANKS, HONEY! :D )

Anyways - this was one of those awful situations where no amount of waiting would have worked. That poor animal would have run and run until it was too weak - days, likely. With the area being relatively flat and treeless it was worth pursuing and pushing for a shot.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rutman

Post by rutman »

TYE wrote:I've never had to track any deer I've shot with a gun. I've always dropped them in their tracks.

I've had to track 2 deer though that other guys only wounded. Pissed me right off. They're too old and out of shape to track the thing down themselves so I had to come to the rescue.
Tye
Heres something I found that says it all.

Subject: Laugh for today

OLD ROOSTER..

A farmer went out one day and bought a brand new stud rooster
For his chicken coop.

The new rooster struts over to the old rooster and says,
"OK old fart, time for you to retire."

The old rooster replies, "Come on, surely you cannot handle ALL of these chickens. Look what it has done to me.

Can't you just let me have the two old hens over in the corner?

" The young rooster says, "Beat it: You are washed up and I am taking over."

The old rooster says, "I tell you what, young stud.

I will race you around the farmhouse. Whoever wins gets the exclusive domain over the entire chicken coop."

The young rooster laughs. "You know you don't stand a chance, old man.

So, just to be fair, I will give you a head start."
The old rooster takes off running.

About 15 seconds later the young rooster takes off running after him.

They round the front porch of the farmhouse and the young rooster has closed the gap.
He is only about 5 feet behind the old rooster and gaining fast.

The farmer, meanwhile, is sitting in his usual spot on the front porch when he sees the roosters running by.

He grabs his shotgun and - BOOM - he blows the young rooster to bits.

The farmer sadly shakes his head and says,
"Darn.....third gay rooster I bought this month."

Moral of this story? .

Don't mess with the OLD FARTS - age, skill, and treachery will always overcome youth and arrogance !!!!
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
rutman

Post by rutman »

Not meaning to pic on anyone just telling it like it should be!.
rutman
paradox
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
stump

tagging your deer

Post by stump »

I'm hoping that the group shares all the meat, which is one of the primary reasons for having hunting clubs and groups. If so, the only reasonable explanation for his behavior would be to steal the rack, as you indicated it was a buck. I would have thanked him profusely for using his tag, and saving mine. Then I'd pose for a picture with the deer and be sure to take the rack. Act like it's a no-brainer that the deer was yours, and let him explain to the group why he felt compelled to try and steal it.
Either way, that should be his last hunt with that group.
DanO

Post by DanO »

When I was a kid in our hunt camp the meat was divided up between all members of the camp. That avoids this kind of silliness. I don't have much time for guys like that and I'm sure you won't be hunting with him again.

Dan O. :twisted:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I Would Re Evaluate Who I Am Hunting With !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!