Challenger Slugs?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Michael MacDougall

Challenger Slugs?

Post by Michael MacDougall »

I just purchased a Stoeger 2000 which comes with a slug barrel and slug choke. The guy who sold it to me recommended the Challenger Slugs.....i read on another post that these slugs may be very accurate but don't expand well? Can anyone suggest another load that has theb best of both worlds, accuaracy nd knock down power?

Thanks, any input appreciated.
Boo

Post by Boo »

If it is a true slug barrel that is rifled or a rifled choke sabots will likely perform much better than full diameter slugs in all respects.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I don't understand slug barrel with a slug tube. As far as I ever heard you could have a smooth bore with interchangable chokes, therefore shoot any pattern or a slug barrel which is rifled. On the challenger note before I got a true slug gun I used challengers and they work very well for me. Both deer I shot dropped on spot.
Boo

Post by Boo »

BigUgly wrote:I don't understand slug barrel with a slug tube. As far as I ever heard you could have a smooth bore with interchangable chokes, therefore shoot any pattern or a slug barrel which is rifled. On the challenger note before I got a true slug gun I used challengers and they work very well for me. Both deer I shot dropped on spot.
I know Browning made a dedicated slug gun. I was an A Bolt. The choke tube is around 6" long so I guess if you can get a smooth choke you can shoot full sized slugs.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dan

Post by dan »

If your barrel is a smooth bore barrel, then you can use Challengers. I shoot a Remington 11-87 smooth bore with I.C. and I have shot all my deer with Challenger Slugs. I have tried other slugs but the accuracy does not compare. The Challengers do alot of damage and the deer can't go too far when they have a hole the size of a loonie in their vitals. If you have a rifled barrel or insert a rifled choke then you need to shoot Sabot Slugs. One guy in my group shoots a Stoeger 2000 and he uses Brenneke Slugs with his I.C. The Brennekes' shoot more accurate than the Challengers out of his gun then they do out of mine. Try different ammunition and see what works best for you. Happy Hunting!! :D
kinger

Post by kinger »

yea i tried the challengers out of my browning bps and they didnt pattern at all.. i went to federal true ball rifled slugs and the were shooting 6 inch groups at 100 yards
JR

Post by JR »

I use the Challenger slugs in a rifled barrel. My Mav88 shoots less than 1.5" groups at 75 yards and 3" groups at 125 yards. I have a 3-9x32 scope on it. The last 3 deer shot with challenger slugs have been bang-flops with massive exit wounds. I would not hesitate to try them. The best groups will be from the shells that your gun prefers. Don't go with the marketing hype. Buy a box of several different brands/types and see wich ones work best in your gun. DO NOT shoot sabots in a choked, non-rifled barrel. Barrel/gun/personal dammage could occur. Good luck,

-Jason
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
rutman

Post by rutman »

Challengers shoot decent groups but drag the wad with the projectile which has mre wind drag and more wind drift. They also have a drill point that is not condusive to shock. My buddy shot 5 into a big buck one day a few years ago. The next day another gang kicked him out of their drive and was intercepted by a different member of ours. the deer was still running like nothing had ever happened to it. You be your own judge but I think they suck out loud!.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
rutman

Post by rutman »

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about!

Doe Master

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That looks better than the challenger slug that we removed from one of the deer .The challenger didn`t mushroom or expand at all and it traveled the length of the body after entering the front .To say the least we are a little disappointed with the lack of expansion ,we lost a nice 8 pointer because of that .I blew the opposite shoulder out and it still ran away.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!