Probably missed the chance of a lifetime!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Iamcdneh

Probably missed the chance of a lifetime!

Post by Iamcdneh »

So I'm by no means a pro when it comes to bow hunting! I take my time, try and learn all the no no's etc, but in the end I like to get in my stand and just hope to see deer. I have shot only 2 with a crossbow, my current exocet.

Anyway I've been doing a lot of reading lately and more and more guys talk about the lunar phases etc and how accurate they are. so with a little time to spare yesterday I decided to take a look at what my area was supposed to be like for deer activity. The morning was supposed to be excellent but I had already missed that time slot. From 2pm to 4 pm also showed good deer activity so I headed to the bush!

I have 3 stands in this particular area which can be a good thing but can also be a pain to decide where to go. This one stand where my uncle had been hunting out of recently had had a lot of activity with does around so I decided to go there.

I had just got up in my stand and was about to pull my mask over my head when out of the corner of my eye I see the biggest horse of a deer I have ever laid eyes on. He was MASSIVE no BS My heart immediately started to race, I tried a quick bleat to get his attention in my direction but no luck, he was obviously on the trail of something because he wasnt sticking around. He was 100 yds away from me and was out of sight in 60 seconds.
To make matters worse if I had gone to my other stand I'm 90 percent sure I would have had about a 35 yd shot at him! Which as long as I could have kept that bow steady would have been a kill shot for sure. Kinda sad and the quest for this years tag to be filled continues. Hopefully I can at least get one more glimpse of him this weekend.
[img]http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/deer31.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't know about you, but those types of encounters are what makes it fun and keeps me out there. If the deer were easy to kill, I'd just go to the meat department in the supermarket instead of hunting. I love the suspense of trying to guess where they are going to be at a given time.
Good luck on connecting with the buck you saw!!!!!!!!!
wabi
kevin

Post by kevin »

I pssed on a very nice Buck this year late Oct. with the Vixen. I figured he was about 35 yds. Instead of heading my way he followed the drainage ditch in the field :?

Oh well maybe next time is the way I figure. I usually see nice ones about 5-6 times a season. Been lucky enough to get 2 over the years though :D
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
franklinm

Post by franklinm »

Looks like you are doing something right, I like to hang with the doe`s durning rut,
sooner or later a buck will show.
huntman

Post by huntman »

dont go crazy over it... you may have not even seen him if you were in the other stand.. wind direction, extra time to get there etc. Be happy you have seen what you want now go get him!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The sighting of a mega buck is what you live for! Think how lucky you were to see him. Think how many others have never laid eyes on book buck.

Kind of makes you want to get right back out there doesn't it!
Big John

luck

Post by Big John »

I have to agree with Mike P. Just to have seen him is enough. 8)
I have shot many deer, but in the last couple years there is a couple on my property that really get the blood going. I have seen them both, and got really shaky when I thought they were going to come in range. Two times I've had one of them in range. Once at 1/2 hr. before sundown and scope glare kept me from shooting. :( But I watched him very closely, to remember him exactly, and see his progression later on. And this season I had him come in opposite of where they should have come in from, shocked the ....... out of me and I wasn't ready. When I did get ready he would not come out of the brush for a good shot and angled away from me on purpose, I'm sure. :( I watched him for about five minutes then he left with the does. They are still there, and I wait for them to show up all the time I'm out there. 8) 8) One day they will let me get my chance, and I just hope I don't get to nervous , and let them go again. :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

that usally always happens to me... ill hunt one stand and I normally have 2 other stands around 1 60 acres field.. sure enough, a nice buck will always come out under those stands when im not there. Why? Cause the winds in their favor and its bad for me to hunt that spot. Thats why they come out there then.

9 time sof of 10, a huge buck will come out under the stands you cant hunt due to the wind being in his favor

Ive always said, hunt a wind that almost 100% wrong to hunt :lol: Those are the winds and stands I kill big deer under.. ive never killed a deer that was upwind of me, every big buck has always been downwind :D

like others said, you are lucky to see him.. keep at him and you may get lucky:)
Iamcdneh

Post by Iamcdneh »

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy to have seen him, nothing worse than sitting out there wondering if deer are even around or if you're doing something so terribly wrong they wont come close to you.

on a different note I smoked a small 4 point with my car last night....lol hit him right in the ass did about 200 bucks worth of damage to the car and I figure it broke his hip cause he laid in the ditch alive for almost an hr while i waited for something to arrive to finish him off!

He dressed about 125 lbs and it looks like 95 % of the meet is good, just may lose a small portion near the butt!

So there's venison in the barn and still have a tag!
[img]http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/deer31.gif[/img]
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

huntman

dont go crazy over it... you may have not even seen him if you were in the other stand.. wind direction, extra time to get there etc. Be happy you have seen what you want now go get him!!

You said it !
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.