A few questions about crossbows?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kpr

Post by kpr »

Myself I kinda thought it would be alot better for a bowhunter to teach the course.
They themselves would be taught by experienced instructors from away and probably pass on more understanding of the importance of precise shot placement and distance restrictions/tracking being bow hunters.
There is no shooting involved on our firearms course where as there is in the bowhunters course.
Logisticaly economicaly and ballisticaly alot easier to setup for bows than rifle :roll:

Is it practical/possible to spot and stalk with a crossbow?
Is the bolt held effectively on the rail for walking/stalking?

Great answers/info so far guys..and girls.
Thanks.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I think spot and stalk would be just as effective with a xbow as it is with a vert bow. It is harder to navigate brush with the xbow. I haven't done any spot and stalk with the xbow because it's been too dry here and the leaves are too crunchy. I carry my bow out with me when I check the feeders and the bolt has never even come out of contact with the string, so I wouldn't worry about it being secure to the rail. I have come to the realization that these bows are engineered very well.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

99% of my hunting is done on foot, I always worry about the arrow sliding down the rail and have developed a habit of checking it with my thumb quite frequently, it has never slid down. Unfortunatly that arrow checking habit came with a habit of checking my safety at the same time with the other thumb.. If you picture that it is a recipe for disaster.
These bows have very few downfalls, one of which is manuvering it through thick bush, it's like pushing a Buick through the woods.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BUCKSHOT

Ha Ha

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Welcome to the forum kpr, you will find a lot of good responses to your questions.
I think that more and more governments are realizing the benefits associated with expanded hunting opportunities in general. By incorporating the use of crossbows they are opening the industry up to more opportunities. More hunters mean more dollars and likely more reliable harvest rates.
In Ontario the government has extended the Archery season by a whole month this year and with-in the last couple of years have they have made additional tags (for whitetail) available to everyday hunters in many different WMU's, up to 6 additionals in some areas.
I could probably go on and on about this, at the current time, according to a friend of mine in the Archery business, 95% of Archery equipment sales are Crossbow related.
It is unfortunate that contention exists amongst hunters, we should all stick together regardless of our choice of equipment.
Early last year a forum call TNDeer created a sub forum for Crossbows, you could tell a lot of the guys knew each other and quite a few took a bashing when they decided to add a crossbow to their collection of equipment. At the end of the day I believe most guys with the conviction to buy one, basically ignored the irrational arguments and flaming from their so called collegues. Paradigms are scary.
Any way as mentioned there is a lot to the whole thing, I hope your Government will follow suit and expand your opportunities.

Oh, one more thing, Very Funny Grizz.
Grizzly Adam wrote:Yeah ... I'm sure the crossbow is easier for everyone in cold-weather climes, because it can be tough for a strong man to draw a hunting weight bow after sitting in the cold for hours! In that sense the crossbow would be especially good for kids, women, smaller and weaker guys, and the injured or disabled. I'm glad they're available and legal for you Canucks!
Where would we be without cocking aids?
Enjoy the Harvest!
kpr

Post by kpr »

Buckshot,
I have come across a few of the TNdeer members on a disabled hunters of America forum I visit.
I think the division lost that forum alot of members and there is alot of bad feeling there...it sounds as though it got pretty hot in Tennesee over all that :roll:
I really can't believe all this division gets me to shakin my head I tell ya.

You say...

"In Ontario the government has extended the Archery season by a whole month this year and with-in the last couple of years have they have made additional tags (for whitetail) available to everyday hunters in many different WMU's, up to 6 additionals in some areas. "

Was this for crossbow hunting or due to overpopulation of deer/both?
Not sure who you have promoting hunting in Ontario but I wish we had some of these guys in Nova Scotia...lol

Our "bow" season runs from Sept. 29 til Dec. 8
The General season (rifle) from Oct 26 tilDec 1st
You can bowhunt all the way through.
The big contention here is that some bowhunters don't want crossbows in the archery season.
BUCKSHOT

Hey kpr

Post by BUCKSHOT »

kpr wrote: You say...

"In Ontario the government has extended the Archery season by a whole month this year and with-in the last couple of years have they have made additional tags (for whitetail) available to everyday hunters in many different WMU's, up to 6 additionals in some areas. "

Was this for crossbow hunting or due to overpopulation of deer/both?
Not sure who you have promoting hunting in Ontario but I wish we had some of these guys in Nova Scotia...lol
I said the Archery season was extended. That is likely due to overpopulation.
As far as I know additional tags can be consumed through any type of hunting. But Archery itself has been extended to Oct. 1st to December 15th in this area of On., last year the season was from Oct. 15th to Nov. 30th.
I hope all this irons out for you too!
Good fortune in your quest to have crossbows legalized.

I am going to go and find some good legal arguments for the crossbow cause and get you some fuel for the fire.
Later.
Enjoy the Harvest!
BUCKSHOT

Hey

Post by BUCKSHOT »

Here is some info ypu may be able to use in your case.
A simple petition in Louissiana: http://www.petitiononline.com/boaxbowp/petition/html

Magazine argument, for the cause:
http://www.tonawanda-news.com/sports/gn ... 33910.html

Ohio stats/debate:
http://huntingsguide.com/bow/permalink. ... unting.txt

Interesting chat about anti-crossbow guys:
http://hunting.about.com/od/arch/l/aa020716a.html

This one on page 13 on is more statistically based and seems well done:
http://www.cooley.edu/publications/gree ... ng2001.pdf.

Hope this helps?
Last edited by BUCKSHOT on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy the Harvest!
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

Very little practice needed/buy one in the morning hunt in the afternoon...Right :roll: