Southern Ontario Rut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dumbazz

Southern Ontario Rut

Post by Dumbazz »

I haven't been out in 12 days.
Are they still rutting in Southern Ontario??

Thanks.
I come by my name honestly.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I can't say I have seen any effects of the rut, if it has passed than I must have dozed off. I go out daily, at least once, and I have seen none of the signs people speak of.
I want to think it is this bazaar weather, but most things I have read say the rut is triggered by changes in daylight, not temperature.
If it is over than I am terribly disappointed in the hype about the whole thing in the first place.
I spend a whole lot of time with Ontarios wildlife, I can say with certainty that no animal is doing what it normally does this time of year.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Tigerpaw

Re: Southern Ontario Rut

Post by Tigerpaw »

Dumbazz wrote:I haven't been out in 12 days.
Are they still rutting in Southern Ontario??

Thanks.
Depending on what you consider southern Ontario. ( north east of Madoc)
The big boys around here are just getting started!!! Scrapes rubs ect. are just showing up these last three days the rut is in full swing about now!!
Good Luck.
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I have to agree with Pydpiper. I'm hunting wmu 91.

I haven't seen a single deer for weeks now. The sounds of squirrels moving still gets the heart pumping though......

Over the last 2 weeks several new rubs and scrapes have appeared but no real indication of obvious rut activity.

Schnarrfuss did take his buck out of the area prior to the shotgun hunt.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Big John

rut

Post by Big John »

I'd say it is in full swing here. I have been calling in deer left and right with bleats and Grunts. Watched two Bucks go at it on Sunday afternoon.
The Bucks are not leaving the doe's at all now. when I see doe's coming. a buck is also near. They are scratching, scraping and urinating all around my stands. Drive's me nut's! :) :) I'm only looking for Big Doe's now so watching the buck's is only a treat. 8)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
DanO

Post by DanO »

I agree Bowster. I'm glad to hear it's not just me. I hadn't seen any deer in over 10days and I'm out every day for half a day. Tonight I picked a totally different spot to sit (without a stand) and I did see a buck hassling a doe and 2 yearlings. They were just out of range but it was nice to see something.

dan O. :roll:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
huntman

Post by huntman »

well my problem with the coyotes may be contributing to this but i too have not seen many deer... I have found a few new scrapes but so i would think the rut is in its primary stage but that just be me being hopefull!
HW

Post by HW »

From what I saw tonight, the rut is definitly on. Found new scrapes and rubs. I have been out off and on all season and had not seen deer. This evening I saw four deer within a couple hundred yards of where I set up. One watched me set up and snorted at me before walking off. This looks like the week.
DanO

Post by DanO »

:D Encouraging!
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I am also hunting in 91 & have not seen any activity of bucks since before the shotgun season :cry:

All the scrapes that were there before are no longer being used & according to the landowners in the concession there were no deer shot in the area that week.

Even the does are sparse now where they were all over before.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
DanO

Post by DanO »

Try the 3 acre woodlots that nobody bothered with during the shotgun hunt. I've noticed deer in the weirdest places. Mostly in backyards and around barns where they can't be hunted. They are returning tothe two woodlots I hunt but are they ever spooked. If I thought they were tough before they're really cautious now. :shock:

Dan O.
Isis

Rut

Post by Isis »

The rut was posponed this year until R.J. gets back this week.
So be prepared. :lol:
VixChix

Re: Rut

Post by VixChix »

Isis wrote:The rut was posponed this year until R.J. gets back this week.
So be prepared. :lol:
AWESOME! There`s hope for the rest of us then too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
FJB

Post by FJB »

It seems to be in full swing up in WMU 78B Mount Albert area. The bucks are out early refreshing their scrapes. The time seems right.
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

wmu 88
nov5th to 9th- i noticed lots of scrapes being made and refreshened at night of course.
nov 12th-18th-i noticed lots of daytime activity during daylight hours.bucks checking bedding areas for does from 11am to 4pm.Ive not been out this week yet but im betting the bucks are doing what there male parts are made for,,,,staying with the does.
Ive read that the best hunting now is as close to bedding areas as possible.
have fun be safe