Ladder stands and Deer Behaviour

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Ladder stands and Deer Behaviour

Post by DanO »

Well the deer have definitely figured out my stand locations. I watched as 2 yearlings, a doe and a buck worked the wind until they could determine if the stand was occupied. I was sitting much farther down wind (unfortunately out of range). I've move my stands twice and within 2 days they had me made.

How often do most of your folks use a stand? ARe ladder stands more easily made than hang on stands or portables? If it's important they don't know where your stand is then how do shooter boxes work so well?

I'm going to have to either move them again or sit on the ground using the stand as a diversion.

I do use scent control and I hunt each stand probably twice a week. The stands are in two totally different areas.

Thanks for any help.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Revisit your scent control. All of it. I had a deer pick up my scent on a string that I had used to haul up my bow...nearly two hours earleier. I had unthinkingly dropped the string, the wind was blowing form string to deer. When they hit the scent form the string it was like hitting an electric fence. BAM! They tried 3 times to join the deer beyond the "string scent." Then walked all the way around the cornfield rather than cross its' scent trail.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

My son shot his buck out of a ladder stand and 2 days later I had a 10 pointer walk 10 yards infront of me when I was in the same stand and give me several perfect broadside opportunities. Too bad I couldn't shoot him because my son used our buck tag!! :D

When this buck came in when I was in the stand he hung around for about 3 to 5 mins always checking the wind. He looked right towards me once but didn't make me. He eventually just walked out from where he came in. I was always down wind of him though. If your stand is in a postion that they can get down wind of you then maybe it's more to do with location then the stand itself.

Dave
DanO

Post by DanO »

I think part of the problem is heavy hunting pressure by neighbours. The wind is crucial but it's hard to work with at times. Might be better to stay out of the bush if the wind isn't favourable.

I use the spray to knock down scent and I store my outer clothes in a separate bag. Is it time to get into the unscented shampoo and soaps as well?

Dan O.
grizzly-v

Post by grizzly-v »

I agree with Cossac try a different scent remover, I like the "hunter's odornix". I have taken a deer in the A.M., then went back to the same stand and taken another that afternoon. :D :D
Excalibur Exomax
Goldtip laser-2 graphite
Daniele

Stands nad scent

Post by Daniele »

I don't hunt edges with my portable, no good trees for it, i am usually about 50 yds in from the edge; i used to do a lot and try to disguise my my scent, kept hunting clothes in a bag with cedar in it, shower the night before with no soap or shampoo ( Still do that), as a matter of fact i don't shower at all sometimes thinking the smells from the factory
( Rubber Manufaturing) might just work for me.
In the last several yrs i don't recall having been spotted, my clothes now just hang in the mud-room with the rest of the outer clothing, consider me lucky i guess, however i remember being made out on the ground with a slight breeze in the deer favour; i would say, it's good to add scents around your stand, even unusual ones, i even brought out Vanilla extract rag last year after someone here mentioned it.
The ideal situation is no breeze at all if possible or one that blows your way instead of teirs :lol: :lol:
Daniele.
Good hunting, be safe.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Horizontals such as ladders stand out like a sore butt to a deer. Try to find a premium location with a cedar, spruce or young hemlok that you can put you ladder behind. Don't move your stand too often because you leave a carpet of odor on the ground that will take a while for the deer to get over. Not to mention the noise you make when putting it up will alert the deer to your location. If you must move it try a windy or rainy day. It helps to carry your scent away and camo your stand installation noise.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

DanO,
I think you are on the right track with the scent issue. It sounds like the wind primarily is working against you in your location. The deer get used to walking across your scent trail checking for your presence. If possible I would try to move to a location downwind of their travel route.

This year while I was moving a huge two-person ladder stand I had a couple deer walk up on me while I was tightening the first turnbuckle. There really isn't a quite or smooth way to move and erect a 100+ pound stand.

Just over a week ago I spent the middle of the afternoon moving a hang on stand and climbing sticks. After more than an hour of ruckus and noise making I settled in and shot a nice 7pt not 10 minutes later. In both cases the wind was in my favor.

If the wind is not in your favor, deer that are under pressure will bust you more often than not.

DuckHunt
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We tried ladder stands for three years at our farm and finally gave up using them. First, four year old and older bucks seemed to pick up on them right away. Second, the fact that they were so hard to move outweighed any advantage they might have presented as far as ease of use.

And last, and I expect to catch some heat from this statement, I think they are a little too dangerous as you can fall going up or down unless you utilize one of the systems available today that tethers you for your ascent and descent.

I am a complete advocate of sit and climb style climbing stands. I say this even after falling from one that almost killed me in 1997. A climbing stand, if your hunting territory permits (ie. suitable trees), allows you the mobility to really target larger bucks that other stands do not afford. Remember, your best chance at killing a mature whitetail buck is the very first time you hunt a specific location. The percentages for success fall sharply with each subsequent hunt of that specific location. So in my book , mobility is key to success.

And as far as safety is concerned, when a climber is used properly, you are hooked up to your complete body harness from your first movement up the tree until your last movement before you set foot back on good mother earth again when you climb down. When I fell, I had a bad habit of only hooking up once I reached the height I wanted to hunt. I didn't hook up for the climb or the decent. It almost cost me my life.

In addition, many of the climbers today are incredibly comfortable and it is easy to add additional hours to your hunt. Nothing drives you off your stand more quickly then discomfort.

Sorry for the tangent I went off on. I know the subject was ladder stands. I didn't hunt this morning as it is just so darn warm here and now I am burning time here on the puter. Hence, I got long winded. (Like thats a surprise, eh?)
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

when you reach a certain age you should never use a treestand no matter what type,,,,i have 3 ladder stands that only my son uses & i am trying to wean him,,i am 74 he is 45,,, when you get older you can make a mistake that can end your life or cripple you for life. i use ground blinds & baking soda in a sock ,pat your self down ,, acorn spray on your boots , then go hunting. hey it been working for me a long time. have a nice day.

hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
rutman

Post by rutman »

I can't use ladder stands or everyone else that hunts where I do will be in them stinkin them up when I'm not there. I use removable steps so they would have to bring a ladder.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

You need to "brush in" the ladder portion of your stand. Use small leafy saplings or vines and weave them in and out of the ladder rungs to hide the outline of the ladder (make sure you still have space for your feet).
this should eliminate the deer busting your stand but remember that deer will find it at night if you leave your scent around it...always use rubber boots walking through your hunting area to your stand and never wear them anywhere else but the woods ie. gas stations etc.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
stump

stands

Post by stump »

DanO, take advantage of the fact they scent check your stand. Set up somewhere within range of the stand, bait pile, trail, or whatever you're hunting. When they determine the stand is empty they'll relax and continue with their normal pattern. Bingo.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Great ideas and input guys. Thanks now I have lots to think about this afternoon in my other stand. REtirements a b****h! :D

Dan O.