binoculars

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

binoculars

Post by warningshot »

can anyone recommend a decent pair of binos....have to be good in low light conditions (dawn and dusk) waterproof , fog-proof ...i have a pair of bushnell trophy and they don't cut it at all....thanks
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have always used Bushnells, thought I was on top of the food chain!
Then Boo lent me a pair of Steiner Predators.. I could not even begin to describe the clairity of there things, especially in low light, at the right time of the evening/morning it is like using night vision. Steiner uses a specially coated glass to assist in seperating the browns of an animal to the browns of the woods.
When I scout my land I can not see my treestand from the road, with my Bushnells I can see the tree it is in, with the Steiners I can see a bird on the stand in low light.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Swift Audabon 8.5x42. Previously rated by John Barness as one of the best buys under $300.t
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Nikon action extreme are good. They gather a lot of light are waterproof have a 25 year warrenty. The 8x can be bought at Bass Pro for 150.00
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

For my money a good pair of Steiners is a lifetime purchase. I just feel there is no comparison when you look at bang for your buck.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

warningshot

Post by warningshot »

thanks for the info...what kind of magnification should i be looking for for optimum light gathering in low light
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

warningshot wrote:thanks for the info...what kind of magnification should i be looking for for optimum light gathering in low light
Look for something around 7.5 x 35mm. That's an ideal size.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Vortex makes some great glass with a lifetime gaurentee
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Cossack is right, read John Barsness, I have several of his books on optics. One other thing I would highly recommend. You can't tell much about how binos are gonna perform by picking them up in a store and staring through them for a few minutes. The store isn't going to let you take them home and try them for a week. So....

Here's what I did a long time ago. Call/find your local bird watching club, these people are SERIOUS about binoculars. I spent a Saturday with them and got to try out different kinds of binos, looking through them for hours not minutes. These guys stare through these things for hours at a time. On the whole they are very generous with their time, and are eager to share their enthusiasm.

What I learned is that there are Leicas and Swarovskis and then there's everything else. People who use binoculars, I mean really use them, will most likely have one or two of either of these. You'll see one or the other of these binos around the neck of just about every PH in Africa, there's a very good reason for this. Nothing else compares, well, maybe the Leupold Gold Ring comes close, but not quite there yet.

I know, they are very expensive, but if you have to glass for hours at a time, for months at a time, you'll understand why. I guess it comes down to your definition of "decent", and how much/hard you intend to use them, and ultimately, how much you're willing to spend. I guess that would be the place to start.

Good luck
Joe
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have three Steiners and on pair of Swarovskis. The 7X50 Miltary Marine are by far the best in low light but the ones I lent to David are the best buy in my opinion. The are powerful, manage light well and are light weight. The 10X50 Steiner Night Hunters are a very good but heavy pair. For the money Steiners are hands down winners. All of my Steiners are adjusted once and do not have to be adjusted when ranging which is a real bonus when the light is low. Other than good glass the upper end binoculars manage (the do not gather) light well. The better they manage light the closer they get to giving 100% light transmission. The Swarovskis are 10X25 that I use for a final stalk. I figure in an ideal world three binoculars are useful. One for stalking, one for low light and one for long range viewing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
leonk

Post by leonk »

depends on the budget, if you can afford to buy AND USE
Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski - good for you it's a no brainer.
I hunted with Swarovski scopes - nothing compares to it.

Have a look at Cornell lab review - as someone correctly mentioned bird watchers know their stuff.

They reviewed positively 2 Nikon binos - ATB Extreme for the low end and Monarch for the mid range. I checked out the Monarch 8x42 - fantastic! I was seriously considering buying it.
You can get it for $290 in the US (even walmart) or some mail order place.

Let me know if you need any links.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Best bang for the buck would be the Nikons in my oppinion.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I might be wrong but I am sure the Steiners (12X40???) Predators that are on loan to David were around the $300.00 mark.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Esox

Post by Esox »

I bought a pair of Zeiss 8x50 in the Cabelas Bargain Cave a couple of years ago and there's no better glass.... They were last years model before the FL gas filled model came out. That's why they were in the Bargain Cave. Still I had to cash in points, a couple of gift certificates just to get it within justifiable spending range but they are .....Sweet....