doghouse blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tws75

doghouse blind

Post by tws75 »

does anyone have the doghouse blind and if so is it easy to shoot out of with xbow?
chessy

Post by chessy »

i have 2 no prob shooting if you are by yourself... if you have kids with you bit of a pain ...
tws75

Post by tws75 »

chessy thanks for the info i ordered one and was a little concerend about shooting out of it
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

We've used my neighbours and no problem at all. Lots of room for 2 guys sitting side-by-side on small chairs/stools. I don't know about 2 guys trying to shoot with x-bows but one shooter and one observers is no problem.

I'm heading to Gandermountain in Port Huron tomorrow to pick one up for myself. $79.99 US (cheaper in Canuck bucks eh!) for a 60"x60". Probably going to pick up a deluxe ladder stand too for $99.

Dave
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I bought one off eBay this year - love it! Haven't shot out of it yet :( but hubby has.

I'd think it would be a bit crowded for two, but alone with a gun or a bow, it fits fine.

I think they're good value for the $.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Shot the only deer so far this year from my Doghouse blind. My 7 year old was with me, but we've rehearsed the shot routine many times. If I tell him "deer" he gets in the back corner & stays there until I tell him he can move. I've impressed on him the force those limbs have when they snap forward on a shot, and the need to be well behind me to prevent an accident. I have the blind angled so he can still watch the shot & see the deer (at the feeder) but be safely behind me.
I bought a couple new stools this year that are a bit taller than normal, and they are very nice for use in the blind. A bit tall for shooting through the small ports, but with a "window" zipped about half way down (full width) they are perfect for me. Not super comfortable, but suitable for a couple hours.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
wabi
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

bstout wrote: Be careful not to pull them too tight when you set them up. If you do the zippers won't function correctly. This isn't a fault of the blind. It's because the blind wasn't installed correctly; ie. pulled too tight when staked.
I learned that the hard way bstout. It wont happen again. :wink: This was my first year for the Doghouse as I got it last Christmas.
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

wabi wrote: I bought a couple new stools this year that are a bit taller than normal, and they are very nice for use in the blind. A bit tall for shooting through the small ports, but with a "window" zipped about half way down (full width) they are perfect for me. Not super comfortable, but suitable for a couple hours.
I had the same problem wabi. Sittin to low on just one milk crate. I took another crate and cut about 5 or 6 inches of the bottom and wire tied it to the full one. With a foam cushion on top, it is just right for height and pretty comfortable too.
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

lot's of room, and one good thing it to get a folding stool and just keep it inside the doghouse pack all the time.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The work great for X bows because they are so wide. On the other hand, the Outhouse works well for verts. but is to narrow for horizonal bows.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have an Outhouse as well - it's tight with the x-bow but if you position yourself right to the back corner and keep the front two windows open the x-bow JUSt fits.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I bought 2 for myself and left them with my friend on his property. I went to Wal-mart and bought a simple nylon folding aluminum chair for one and an adjustable lounger aluminum chair with foot rest for the other. You can position it so that you can see out the windows and shoot through the mesh. Only problem was not falling asleep it was so comfortable. (Had a little problem finding the remote for the TV - just kidding). Whatever you do, get a chair (however cheap for $5.00) with a back on it. At my age I need this support and can sit for hours. Not good for 2 shooters - adult and child observing fine. Tough for my bow-hunting friend on the draw.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I love my DOghouse and the xbow works no problem in it! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!