Vertical Bows... (Pictures too if you have them!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

Vertical Bows... (Pictures too if you have them!)

Post by TYE »

Just curious as to who uses a vertical bow aside from their crossbows? Compound, Recurve, Longbow, etc.

And what bow? Make and model, draw weight, etc. Details Details. :lol:

Pictures too if you have them! :D :D
Last edited by TYE on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I shoot a vertical as well I an older darton Cyclone with CPS cam > My current bow is made by another Michigan based company called Monster Bows . It is camless bow that share the profile of an Oneida . Very smooth and forgiving.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Farmer wrote:I shoot a vertical as well I an older darton Cyclone with CPS cam > My current bow is made by another Michigan based company called Monster Bows . It is camless bow that share the profile of an Oneida . Very smooth and forgiving.
I've heard of those Monster Bows. Look too complicated for me, lol. :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Naw, don't want to touch such a contrapion! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a few recurves & longbows, but shoot the CheckMate Falcon recurve (60" - 49#@28" - walnut limbs/shedua riser) most. Don't hunt much with it anymore because I can't shoot daily (shoulder problems), but it's still fun to sling a few arrows when my body doesn't protest too much.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I shoot a Jennings T-Master, 65 pound compound bow. I am hesitant to bring it out in the woods until it is paid for but it is a very fun sport!
If you are thinking about trying one do yourself a favor and do not listen to those who say it is so difficult(compound), that is just a smokescreen put up by the compound guys to make them feel more like a traditional hunter. It does take practice, but it is far from difficult.
I have no experience with traditional stuff but I have a friend coming over this weekend, he is always within arms reach of about 5 bows, compound, traditional, re-curve.... Should be fun, provided I don't get too fatigued. :roll:

I liked the compound because it was so quiet to shoot, I get the same enjoyment out my crossbow now that it is quiet too.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I have a 60lb PSE Nova that I picked up second hand. Shoots pretty well out to 30 yards, but not as fast or as accurate as the Excalibur. I tried to tune it myself with no luck, so I took it to a shop and they set it up for me. Now it is very enjoyable to shoot. I do take it out sometimes, but I feel like I'm cheating on the Exocet :oops: :lol: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Nope, have not been able to pull one for some time.
the elf

Post by the elf »

Sold my compound---shoot BLACK WIDOW Recurves----Chekmate Recurves [Hunter 1]--Rodney Wright Bushbow[flatbow]--Caribow takedown longbow--Great Northern Fireball[Hybrid Longbow]----Black Mountain Static Recurve------and of course-------my Exocet 200--which replaced my original exocet with carved tips[upgrades done]--which my son now has. All my Traditional equipment is Lefthanded.------Elf.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I picked up a Martin Prowler SE Compound off ebay for $250 ready to shoot. It's rated at 55-70 lbs but I've actually got it turned down to about 45 lbs right now until I can build up some archery muscles. I would have liked a bow rated at 40-60 lbs but I couldn't pass up this deal.

If you're thinking about getting one, don't get caught up in the hype with these high poundage super fast bows. You don't need a 70+ pound bow that shoots over 300 fps to kill deer. If you're thinking about taking anything longer than a 20 yard shot you're crazy.

As for difficulty....After a little adjustment with the sight I can put 6 arrows on a 4" circle at 10 yards no problem. I'm not as tight at 20 yards but I'm getting better. It's all about practice and being consistent with your anchor point and smooth with your release.

Dave
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Yeah ... I've still got these:

Byron Ferguson Custom Redhawk longbow 75# @ 28"
Byron Ferguson Royal Safari longbow 55# @ 28"
Martin Hunter recurve 55# @ 28"
Bear Grizzly recurve 40# @ 28"
Purpleheart / Hickory flatbow 65# @ 28"

Sold my brother a Mathews Switchback 55#-65# at 29" to buy my Excal package.

Don't sling many arrows now, as it is bad for my nerve damaged wrist.
Grizz
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Prior to buying my Excalibur Exocet, I had a 60 lbs recurve bow hand-made for me by a fellow in Ottawa, ON, since it was hard to get a compound at the time for a 6'4" high guy with a 31" draw.

Use the crossbow in ON and the recurve in QC.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Martin Rebel 50# recurve and I just sold the PSE Xcellerator.
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
DoDFire

Post by DoDFire »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Yeah ... I've still got these:

Byron Ferguson Custom Redhawk longbow 75# @ 28"
Byron Ferguson Royal Safari longbow 55# @ 28"
Martin Hunter recurve 55# @ 28"
Bear Grizzly recurve 40# @ 28"
Purpleheart / Hickory flatbow 65# @ 28"
Would you consider put'n me in your Will,,,,,,,, :D
Huntsman, rest! thy chase is done
Boo

Post by Boo »

Both of the compounds I use right now are 50 to 60 lb bows. Both bows are pretty fast, smooth and quiet. Much more power, quiet and accuracy than our crossbows. I have about 18 recurves and long bows and all but two of them (I think) are 50 lbs draw. Forty-five pounds is the min for whitetail here in Ontario. All of the Traditional bows do not use sights. The range of the Traditional bows is twenty yards and the compounds is the same as our crossbows.
Are you thinking about bow hunting in Alberta Tye? If you are consider that you are going for moose. Donno what the min is for moose in Alberta though. Then there is Elk!
Some people just like stepping on rakes