someone won't be happy.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kevin

someone won't be happy.

Post by kevin »

I noticed 2 very nice new ladder stands were put up on a farm I hunt, about 80 yards south of my cheapo ladder stand. I thought the Farmers son's or grandsons put'em up for shotgun season, though they've always used mine (3) and some old wood homebuilt ones for shotgun season. I hardly go during gun season and only one grandson bowhunt's.

I asked him about'em and he said he'd ask the boy's about'em. Well he called last night and the boys figured someone tresspassed from homes they put up a couple years ago about 1/2 mile from his property.

I went to check this morning after hunting and it looks like the boys brought the front end loader back and smashed them to bit's and pieces. The only thing left on the trees are twisted seats with a chain and lock around the tree. They really tore the area up with the loader also.:shock:

I'm sure glad I'm not going to be there for gun season and hope they don't smash my cheapo stands.
my member name used to be kev until I changed my e-mail. member oct. 18, 2003
tws75

Post by tws75 »

i have had problems with people trespassing and putting stands on my property and after talking with the game warden he said since the property is posted that i could legally take their stands and do what i want with them needless to say i have sold about 5 in the last couple of years this year i havent found any our even caught anybody on the property i guess they finally got the point.also just to be on the safe side i chain and padlock all my stands to the tree.
kevin

Post by kevin »

I was going to put some notes on the stands, telling them to take them down. I don't want those guys busting up my stands in retaliation.

The farmers youngest son is kinda grumpy so I figured it was him that smashed them with the loader, I'm sure he would have taken them if they were'nt locked to the tree.

I'm sure 1 or 2 of the boy's will be on the south end of the property opening day waiting to meet these guy's. I go over that evening to see what went on.

They've never had tresspassers that I know of till this year.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

That's right. Possession is 9 10ths of the law! If someone leaves a stand on your property, take it, sell it, and buy your wife dinner :wink: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Esox

Post by Esox »

Putting up a ladder stand up on some elses property is way to brazen... Most of the time somebody tresspassing will either be on the ground or at most using a self climber stand... They're either very bold or very stupid......
TYE

Post by TYE »

I knew a guy who used to shoot bird shot from his shotgun from a few hundred yards and shower trespassers with pellets... :shock:
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I wonder why they didnt just cut the lock and take them to the barn? It seems like a waste of a good stand :roll:
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

I recently caught my neighbor's dirt bag son driving a piece of my woods we call the sanctuary. It's about a 20 acre stand of woods we leave unhunted so the does will settle in and the bucks will eventually come in and chase. We hunt the perimeter. I back tracked his footprints in the snow right to his dooryard.
My first insticnt was to kick his arse, but reason triumphed. Instead I held he and his father responsible. Reasoning that his father should have taught the kid (24 years old :roll: ) hunting ethics, respect and responsibility. Those lessons shouldn't have included driving his neighbors deer sanctuary. Who knows how many times he's done it before but I'm certain this wasn't the first time. These people own about 5 x the acres of land we do. :roll:
The penalty imposed basically equals a $500 fine each and every year starting this spring. I told them to pull all 400 taps (maple sap pipeline) off our property which we had so graciously allowed them to utilize.

I hit em where it really hurts,.....their pocketbooks. :twisted:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I went out Tuesday to see why there was a truck parked beside my hunting land, I came ripping through the corn aimed right to a guy sitting in my stand, I was going fast and this coward still managed to get out of my stand flailing his orange off of his body to better conceal himself in the woods..
Trespassing to hunt is not hunting.. I don't know why they even bother to wear orange if that is how they handle their responsibility.
Controlled hunt, my arse.

Took me about an hour to type this, couldn't stop looking at the avatar in the post above mine..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I keep coming back to the post just to check up and see if she's popped them out of her bikini yet :twisted: . :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
kevin

Post by kevin »

well I suppose with all the urban sprawl up here in north east Ohio I'd better get used to tresspassers.

It should be an interesting opening day if his boys catch those fellas. The youngest son is quite a hothead and a big kid at that. I predict someone is gonna get a whoppin. :shock:

We have had a problem the last few years with people riding dirtbikes and ATV's through crop fields. Quite a few at this farm.
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

ESOX

I looked at your avitar - I LOVE YOUR CROSSBOW TARGET :lol:
DanO

Post by DanO »

I've always put my name and phone number on my stands. I have permission to hunt the land but I figured incase there was ever a problem they could call me rather than trash the stand. It would also help if the stand is on public land. At least I can call the other hunter to see if we can work something out so that I'm not screwing up his hunt. Does IDing your stand not make sense?

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I wish I shared your trust in the world DanO, but to a thief or vandal all a phone number is is something else to cut off.
Honest people wouldn't mess with it in the first place.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I think it is a good idea to put some info on the stand. Some of mine have it on. When I hunted state land in Michigan it was law to have name and address visible from the ground .