Bringing US deer back to Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Bringing US deer back to Ontario

Post by Farmer »

I just returned from the butcher that processes our deer. He was speaking with another customer about hunters bringing Michigan deer back to Ontario . It sounds like customs were sending hunters for secondary inspection if they had deer . The MNR , and Ag Canada were at the secondary inspection . They asked to see your deer , you were then told to toss it in a nearby dumpster and were issued a $ 500 fine .
From what I was told it is because of chronic wasting disease . The deer is supposed to be processed and tagged by butcher in Michigan before crossing the meat.

Has anyone else heard this ? Any other details ? I was thinking of going with a friend to arrow a few deer in Michigan but am having 2nd thoughts now.
Daniele

importing deer

Post by Daniele »

Good hunting, be safe.
chessy

Post by chessy »

its been in the hunting regs for 2 years now.... deer must be proccessed before crossing boarder
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I just went throught this experience a few weeks ago,as I shot a buck down at my cabin near Marshburg PA.
I had shot it on a Saturday evening,and had planned to come back to Ontario the next day.
Since I knew about the regulation,that meant I had to take the better part of the day to skin and debone the deer.
I put it all into freezer bags,leaving it overnight,and made plans to come back a day later.
I also planned to have the head mounted,and fortunately there was a taxidermist just up the road.
It sure means that any Canadians hunting south of the border will be losing valuable hunting time preparing the meat,unless there is a butcher nearby.
In my case,that was not an option.
The regulations clearly state what can be brought back,and it does not necessarily mean that the whole animal must be deboned to be allowed back into Ontario.
It's too bad that they really do not know how CWD is transmitted,as these regulations are overkill,IMHO!
We still cannot bring fresh beef into the US,because of their concern over Mad Cow disease,yet commercial beef is allowed.
If I bring it into the country,eat what I need,and then bring back what is not consumed,what is the issue?
Nuff said!
Bob Vandrish.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated