Broadheads....fixed vs. mechanical

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bushmaster

Broadheads....fixed vs. mechanical

Post by bushmaster »

I'm sure this has been discussed here ad nauseum but I was under the general impression that people were leaning towards mechanicals. Just called an archery shop in Edmonton and he said most prefer the fixed.......now I'm back to square one again wondering ???

Tye, I was trying to order some of those Grim Reapers but they are out of stock....
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Bushmaster,

If you do a search here you will find a lot of info on broadheads. I have read poor reviews on the Grim Reaper. Here are some reviews that are available on the web:

http://btreviews.proboards57.com/index. ... 007reviews

http://www.american-hunter.com/broadhea ... d_test.htm

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Use which ever you think works best for you . They both have ups and downs but they both work when tuned right. TYPE of mech. is what you need to watch for . I use NAP Spitfires in my Phoenix but have read that they sometimes open early when used in the higher power xbows .

Test them for yourself and see what works best for you .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
hawg hunter

Bhds

Post by hawg hunter »

Save your money on mechs. Shoot tried and proven fixed heads Slicks, Montec, Wasp , all have plus and minus as far as sharpening ability but they will not fail you with penetration and accuracy from Excals. IMO mech is just another varible to worry about openig to early ,not opening at all,no pass through becaus of opening to soon Just to many IFS.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Last year at this time I would have said Wasp JakHammer mechanical without hesitation. I had shot several deer (don't have an exact count, but 1 or 2 a year for 5 or 6 years) and had great results. Huge exit wound, great blood trail, quick recovey every time. Then I shot a button buck this year with a JakHammer. Luckily made a perfect heart shot and recovered him within about 60 yards, but the broadhead was still closed and banded when I recovered it! I've tried several mechanicals with my crossbow, and so far the JakHammer was by far the most consistant (when double banded) for staying closed in flight, but opening quickly on impact. I have no explanation as to why this one failed to open, but I'm not a slow learner. From now on it's fixed blades only!!!!!!!!!
They might take some time & effort to make certain they are properly aligned & "tuned" to get great flight, but they will not fail to cut as designed! So far my shooting G-5 Outdoors' Montec broadhead and SlickTricks have shown they need very little "tuning" to get good accuracy.
I've tested the Montec out to 45 yards, and get good accuracy, so with my 30 yard "personal" shot distance limit on deer it's not a worry on accuracy.
Just remember, not every broadhead will give the same results on accuracy from every bow (or crossbow) or on every arrow. There are just too many variables to take into account to make a blanket statement that one particular brand or type will give perfect performance. Pick one that is highly recommended and you like the looks of and give it a try. If it shoots accurately enough to suit you, great! If it doesn't, try a few "tuning" tricks, like the spin test or an "O" ring between the broadhead & insert before giving up.
wabi
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

For what it is worth Ihave used both mechs and fixed . I have used rocket Sidewinders with good results 1.5 inch cutting diameter huge exit holes. ( they have always opened .

The best replaceable blade I have shot to date is the Wasp Boss . I have shot the 3 blade and the 4 blade models with a slight edge on the 3 blade for accuracy . The 4 blade makes one real nasty exit wound . The head is very tough .

I am currently trying out a cut on contact head called rothaar Snuffer . Have only been able to take a few trial shots with it but it looks very promising.

The mechs are the easiest of them all to get to group consistently . Basically screw them on and go . ( you will have to take a few practice shots to confirm POI )

With the fixed blades you will have to make sure that the inserts are square which means spin testing with the broadhead in place . If there is any wobble you will have trouble grouping .

The type of game you hunt should also be considered . Deer black bear , pretty much anything will work . For bigger game my choice would be cut on contact blade followed by replaceable blade broadheads .

Best of luck .