Clumsy Foot and the Lumizone Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

First off, I acknowledge that this was carelessness and clumsiness on my part and I accept all the condemnation associated.
I was practising shooting with my exocet 200 in an enclosed warehouse. I had set target and was shooting at different distances. All was going well. I leaned the xbow against a bench --stirrup on floor -- after each shot while I retrieved the bolt. Enroute to get a bolt my toe of boot hit the end of the limb and knocked the xbow from the standing position allowing it to fall with the butt hitting the cement floor. Next shot was 3"-4" low. Still in line as far as windage but low. I had to retune the scope and within a few shots was back in business.
My question to all who have this scope---- Is it this sensitive to a jar and thus requires to be handled with extreme care? I feel that the shock to the scope by the butt hitting cement is considerably more severe than in the similar scenario of hitting the ground but at the same time such jarring can occur in the field.
Any comments and experiences are welcome and I am not trying to justify in any way that anyone else is as clutsy as myself, but am sincere in the idea of "sensitivity"

bbbwb
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There is a chance that you jarred the mounts, not necessarily the scope. Even Butt end down can have a whiplash effect on the scope. If it were me (and it has been in the past) I would check all my screws for tightness.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bbbwb

Clumsy Foot -----Scope

Post by bbbwb »

Pydpiper --- I had checked the screws and all were very tight. I recognize that when the butt fell to the cement floor, it would be a severe jar and maybe that sort of jar falls into the bracket of
"unacceptable rough handling" I know that I will put the xbow on the floor or on the bench in the future --- it smartened me up and I tell my tale so ---"a word of warning is sufficient for the wise" eh,eh,eh,eh! hahaha.
Thanks though for your idea.
bbbwb
wabi

Post by wabi »

In reality that's a heck of a jar to subject the scope (and crossbow) to. You're lucky the only damage was a slight change in POI!
I would recommend a very thorough check of all bolts, screws, and parts - then several test shots to be certain there is no damage.
I'd rate it as a tough scope (and mount system) if it survived that shock with only a slight change in POI.
wabi
ranger66

Post by ranger66 »

I had my Exomax fall on the floor of the camp right on the Varizone Scope, long story, but I went to site it in again and mine was shooting 2 inches low at all distances, dialed her back in again and she was good to go, I fired about 20 shots just to confirm everything was ok.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I dropped mine out of the treestand a week ago and haven't touched the scope and 2 days ago was dead on out to 60 yards. I've never knocked the scope out before.
Boo

Post by Boo »

A buddy of my fell with his Leupold on his rifle twice and it was off both times. From what I can imagine your scope POI change is to be expected with any good scope.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I had similar experience when I lost my grip while recocking and the bow tipped forward onto the scope. The scope was off, as I expected it would be.
Does not take much of a hit to move crosshairs of ANY scope where they aren't locked down.
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the related experiences to answer my original question .
Good luck to all

bbbwb
just a feed boy

Post by just a feed boy »

I had an identical situation shooting on asphalt, my poi changed 2-3 " and now I have a scuffed scope. Since then I have had no other problems. I was suprised when the poi changed, I have had ruff set downs of the bow in the woods, being concerned, after checking the mounting screws and a few practice shots the drop on a hard surface must be brutal in comparison the woods set downs nothing changed
navaman

Post by navaman »

boy oh boy ! i just don't know what to think about those derned old scopes. :shock:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Normous

Post by Normous »

Looks like we got kinda lucky this year, it could have been worse. First thing in the morning while still dark, my wife somehow did not attach her pull up rope correctly to the thumbhole in the Vortex stock. It let go from a hight of 16 feet a fell staight down on a sharp rock. The aluminum stirrup was so badly caved in, you could not place your foot in it. On the bright side the Vortex/Lumi-zone shot true and dead on after that accident :oops:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family