Hanging stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Hanging stands

Post by ecoaster »

While up in my climber in a driving blizzard this morning :D , I had a thought. Yes, it is a rare thing and it did hurt :lol: :lol: :lol: .

I usually just put a rope around me while placing a chain on stand and it can be a bit tricky and un-nerving. I thought it would be a good idea to use my climber to get up a tree, then pull the other stand up and chain it on. It would be a lot more stable than hanging off the tree on some tree steps.

Anyone every tried this???
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Big John

stand

Post by Big John »

What a good idea ecoaster! :) At least for those with climber's. I have to hang off and chain up. :( Sometime's a little unnerving, but tie a rope around yourself and all is well.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like a good idea!
I normally use a "climbing stick" type ladder and a rope over a limb above the stand to hoist it up and hold it in place while I get it secured. I also use a safety belt with a nylon strap that goes around the tree (like a linesman's belt) while hanging one.
A climbing stand would be a lot more secure.

Now take a coule asprin and relax your brain for a few hours - thinking can be hard work! Especially when you have a good idea like this one was. :lol: :lol:
wabi
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

If you have a climbing stand why use the hang on ??????? Just climb up , strap it down , wear a safety harness and your set .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

theres many days i would rather have a hang on up in a tree waiting for me at 5:30 in the morning than carrying a climber on my back.....most of the trees i have hang on stands in cant be climbed with a climber because there are to many branches but it is a good idea if it can be dun
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats how i used to hang all my chain on stands. Go up with my climber and pull the chain up on rope and set it up. Had some taken when i used climbing sticks and ladders. Even tho they were cabled and locked. So i went to the tree steps that were strapped on and always took 3 or 4 at bottom off as i came down. People still took them, they always find a way to steal ! :cry:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Tuskntine,

Love the climber, but they can be a bit noisey when setting up. With the chain on already in a good area, I can slip in and be in the stand quickly. I have three chain on styles and have used my climber almost exclusively this year, just because I have been moving around scouting a lot of new ground.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Ecoaster how long does it take the bush to settle down after you use the climber. I can see myself using it for the afternoon hunt but man prior to dawn I'd put the deer out of any small bush I have permission to hunt. I am starting realize the element of surprise is huge when deer are pressured.

I've only been bow hunting for 2 years so I've got alot to learn.:roll:

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I watched my neighbour hang two hang on stands and talk abuot nerve racking! He was working off his climbing sticks (the kind that attach together and strap to the tree) without a harness or any safety rope. Trying to hold the stand with one hand while attaching the strap with the other, while holding onto the ladder is not something that I want to do. I went to my local hardware store and picked up a small pulley that I plan to hand on a large hook above where I'm going to mount my stand. Then I'm going to hoist the stand up from the ground and secure it so that once I'm up the climbing sticks (with my harness on) I can work on attaching the strap without having to try and hold up the stand.

Hopefully I'll be doing that sometime this week.

Dave
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Dan,

I can set my climber up fairly quitely, but it just takes some time and effort. I takes me about 20 minutes to get up in the tree and settled in. The last two weekends I have taken out in the morning I have seen deer. I would not try to set it up on the edge of a field in the morning. I prefer to set up where I can intercept them when they are coming back to the bedding area.
rattler1

Post by rattler1 »

I hang 9 hang on's every late summer by myself and I wouldn't even think about doing it without my falls wood climbing harness. It act's as a linemens belt when putting up the stands. When i use a climber I like to use my Lone Wolf, they are very quiet when setting up close to bedding area's.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ive got about 20 hang ons up that I hunt from.. I also have a Summit Viper climbing stand which is nice, but I hate dragging that thing in the woods. With the hang on, the stands there and all I have to do is go to it and climb it. I also preferr the hang ons since I can leave brush around my stand and with a climber you need clean trees to get up.

but I also hang all of mine just by holding on to the tree.. I need to find a safer way, but its pretty simple to hang them now, espically on slammer trees. Now get a tree where you cant get your arms around and its a PITA to fasten the straps and hold on LOL. The biggest thing with hanging any stand is taking your time and never rush. Thats when accidents happen.

I also mainly use hang ons since im about 6'2 and I seldom find people that go up my steps to get to them. I love ladder stands, but everyone and their mother will use them if they find them :roll:

climbers are nice, but I just dont like the hassle of hauling them in, up the tree, down the tree, and then back out... stealth is the key for me and no matter how much I try, the climber will make some noise
JRS

Post by JRS »

When I have a full week off for muzzle loading, I take my climber and attach it to the base of a tree and put a cable lock on it, and leave it for the week. This saves the hassle of lugging it in and out every day. I put a large garbage bag over the top seat section to keep it dry. I only do this in areas that I am reasonably sure it won't be stolen or vandalized, (like behind my house where I have a clear 800 yard view of where it is hung).