10 pointer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

10 pointer

Post by catcher »

Got this guy on Monday morning during our controlled deer hunt. It is a shotgun or muzzleloader hunt. And the controlled part means that you have to apply or be a land owner with over 50 acres of land you can particapte. And since I have 75 acres I was in. Shot him at 65 yards with my 870. He is a ten pointer that weighed 149 pounds field dressed. It feels so weird being a bow hunter to wear all that orange but in Ontario it is a law to wear a minimum of 400 square inches of orange on your chest and you also have to wear a orange hat. And it can not be that camoflage orange vest either it hast to be solid in color. only when you are hunting with a gun. It felt good to shoot a deer on your own property. I am kinda hesitant to tell you what happened on Monday afternoon. Got a late start and headed to a farm I have never hunted before but saw good deer sign there. Anyway got set up on the ground and decided to bring my muzzel loader with me because I have never shot anything with it before. And well about a half hour into the hunt here comes a deer in the snow and ice i could hear him walking from far away. Then I see him he is around a 150 class ten pointer and he is going to walk right past me at 40 yards. So I get ready and when he hits my shooting lane i BAAA. He stops right behind a tree. He is looking straight at me and i try to move a liitle to get a better shot and as soon as I get the crosshairs on his fitals he turns to run .I shoot but totally miss and he runs off and turns and looks at me. Boy I wish I had the 870 then because he would have got the other two. Oh well I guess that is why they call it hunting not catching.

flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

NICE BUCK! WHATS THAT WHITE STUFF ON THE GROUND THERE? ImageYOU CANUCKS ARE SOO LUCKY TO HUNT THOSE BIG DEER UP THERE! ALTHOUGH HE LOOKS TO BE ABOUT THE SIZE OF BUCKS WE HAVE HERE. OHH SO YOUNG AND TENDER..
JAY
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Catcher! :D

I think they call that stuff "snow," Jay. We had a big storm last year and got almost 1/4" of it! :shock:
Grizz
navaman

Post by navaman »

great job catcher ! congrats. :)
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
catcher

Post by catcher »

Jay He is not a very big one. An average 2 1/2 year old. Not like the big guy I missed in the afternoon. He was a 200 pounder easily. But the one I shot definetly is going to be a good eater.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ya'lls 2.5 year olds are the size of our 4.5-5 year olds here LOL :lol:

dont feel bad about missing, I missed a solid 140 class 8pt the second week of ML do to my scope fogging. The bad thing was, I got the deer to within 20yards and rushed the shot do to excitment. I had the scope up close to my chin ready for the shot, not knowing I was breathing in it and since it was in the low 30's that didnt make for a good combo. The scope somewhat cleared and instead of waiting 10 seconds longer I rushed my shot and missed :roll:

the dog hunters got him the first week of dog/deer season :evil:

anyway, like you said.. its hunting and if you shoot at enough, you will miss a few sooner or later LOL
Rich

Post by Rich »

Nice deer Catcher, a 150 pounder is a beast in my neck of the woods.

Rich
rutman

Post by rutman »

Congrats on the nice buck. Good genetics there!.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
buzz

Post by buzz »

congra
buzz

Post by buzz »

Sorry having trouble with submit to site.
Congrats catcher.
saxman

Post by saxman »

flbuckmaster wrote:NICE BUCK! WHATS THAT WHITE STUFF ON THE GROUND THERE? ImageYOU CANUCKS ARE SOO LUCKY TO HUNT THOSE BIG DEER UP THERE! ALTHOUGH HE LOOKS TO BE ABOUT THE SIZE OF BUCKS WE HAVE HERE. OHH SO YOUNG AND TENDER..
JAY
I'm with you Jay.
When I was in Michigan that stuff was fallin,never did figure out what it was.

Nice buck brother.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikew

Post by mikew »

Nice Buck! Congrats.

-Mike
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Congratulations catcher!
Why ride when you can walk!
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats...if I count right that is the third buck this year? Save one for next year!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting