Meat Grinder??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Golden Eagle

Meat Grinder??

Post by Golden Eagle »

I have decided to get a Grinder and process my own Deer from now on.

I used to do it years ago but got away from it.

The rates keep going up here [ 60.00 - 75.00 $] and Im not saying its not a fair wage for the processor, but its money I could buy my own grinder with.

I read where the Sam Baere is highly respected, but is kind of pricey.
http://www.sambaere.com/

What Brand do you Home Processors use?
Normous

Post by Normous »

My Cabelas grinder has impressed the heck out of me. The 1/2 hp($240) gets the job done without any fuss what so ever. They do have larger madels. This is my first grinder and I do not have any other to compare it to, all I know it works very well into it's fourth season. The last time I checked the whole linup was on sale.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Used an old hand grinder for many years ... just bought an LEM grinder from BassPro last year. It's no faster, but it's easer ... and you can stuff with it much better ... run jerky sticks too.

Works like a charm!
Grizz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Just an idea before you break the bank. This might sound a bit sexist, but check with your wives, girlfriends or mothers - lots of countertop mixers have grinders as accessories (they're just usually stuffed in the back of some cupboard somewhere because they rarely get used.)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just my Image but from my experience, either go with a low cost hand cranked grinder, or shell out big $$$$ and get a good stainless steel heavy-duty grinder.
My processor just bought a Cabela's grinder for his shop if that's any indication of quality. :wink:
I've owned a couple of the "economy" plastic cased electric grinders over the years and they just don't hold up. Usually burn up the motor or strip the gears within a season or two. A good quality hand cranked grinder may be slow and work-intensive, but it will last! You can often find them in yard sales, eBay, etc. for a reasonable price. I have noticed a few Made In China models on the market recently, not sure I'd buy one of those. :lol:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Those Chinese grinders are heavy and rugged enough, Wabi ... the problem with them is the lead coating. :wink:
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Don't get the Cabela's plastic grinder. I got one as a gift. Slow and won't last long.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Those Chinese grinders are heavy and rugged enough, Wabi ... the problem with them is the lead coating. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
(Much cheaper than tin I guess)

One more thing I would add about hand cranked grinders is don't buy the biggest thinking it will be the best. :wink: Remember - the power supply is your muscles! The small ones are slower, but a lot easier to crank, and usually do a better job of grinding because you're not trying to force too much too quickly through them.
Bob, I'd guess the older models probably have a lot better quality/precision in the cutters. The one I have has been in the family for so many years I'm not sure of it's origin. I think my aunt loaned/gave it to my mother in the 50s or 60s and never got it back. Mother made the mistake of loaning it to me many years ago. :lol:
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

Here's what I use: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7552_47552. I took a 3/4 hp washing machine motor I bought at a swap meet for $20 and mounted them to a cutting board. I timed it grinding a VA deer and it took less than 45 seconds to spit it out.

Rich
Last edited by Rich on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We bought a commercial Hobart grinder at an auction where a butcher store was going out of business. The old Hobarts are built to last and parts are still available for them but I would bet the only thing ever needing to be replaced will be the cutting blades.

We went to the auction with the intent of purchasing the walk in cooler but it went way to high. We ended up building our own.
gnhuntin

Post by gnhuntin »

I have this same grinder http://www.sambaere.com/sb500.html but I bought it at Northern Tool on sale for about $80. I have used it 2 seasons so far, (6 deer approx. 50 lbs ground meat) and its works better than the attatchment for my wifes spam Aid mixer.
mblaney

Post by mblaney »

I have a Porkert Grinder that I motorized - works very well.
A buddy just bought one from Princess Auto for cheap; the first one worked like crap - we inspected the auger and it was oval shaped. he took it back and got another one with a round auger - works perfectly. The Princess Auto #32 comes with a v-groove pully with a hand crank. Easy to motorize.
Not sure about the lead content though; I think lead is mostly used for kids toys :cry:
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Thanks for all the tips. I have a Cabelas close to me so I will watch for a Sale. I will probably even get some gift cards for thier store.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I bought a 1200watt Sam Beare off Ebay last year and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! I got it cheaper than anythng sold around here including Bass Pro Shop and it is more powerful and less costly...I paid $250 shipped to Canada and the most comparable one here was over $800...remember that 746watts-1hp..hope this helps........Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

VixChix wrote:Just an idea before you break the bank. This might sound a bit sexist, but check with your wives, girlfriends or mothers - lots of countertop mixers have grinders as accessories (they're just usually stuffed in the back of some cupboard somewhere because they rarely get used.)
This is good advice. My wife has a spam Aid and it has a meat grinder attachment. I wish I had of know that years ago. Some very good deals on them on E-bay.