If you could do it over without mistakes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bendback

If you could do it over without mistakes

Post by bendback »

Gentlemen & Gentle Ladies,

I'm new - don't have a bow yet - so if I could borrow from your past experiences & extensive knowledge - maybe I won't have to chip I the whole wheel out of stone!

After Christmas I plan on buying a Vixen or Phoenix with scope pkg.

I would like to swap out the vari-zone with the lumi-zone

I think I would also like to buy:

1 doz bolts - thinking 2216s or 2219s Eastons

I haven't found brass inserts in this size yet ??

thinking 3" quik spin vanes

100 gr slick trick broadheads & 2/3/4 blade adj diamond hone

100 gr. judo points also field points

blitzenburger fletching jig & nock adapter ??

cat whiskers

what size string & serving mal't ??
(will build my own string & stretching jig)

Excal. sling

Excel. bow stand

double gun case (can find locally)

bolt case (can find locally)

range finder

a portable butt - I can only shoot 30 yds in bk yd

Someone mentioned a tool for trimming shafting ARC ?? or something

Is Goat glue the best ??

I would like to purchase this all at once & from one dealer - maybe get
a better deal - only dealers I have found are Addicted to Archery :
Keystone Country store : Bowhunters Super Store.

Please send me some feed back I need some help

If I can't cut a decent deal with a dealer I can always put a rig together, one piece at a time.
Also, If I have made some bad choices - please, whack me up side the head & set me straight - I'm counting pretty heavily on ya'll!!

Thanks for your help >>-->
wabi

Post by wabi »

First off, WELCOME!!!!!!!
I wouldn't plan on the first purchases as being the best to suit you. You will find this sport offers a lot of options on equipment, and you will eventually get the urge to try different options. You might find you are completely satisfied with the first attempts, but you might also find you would like something different.

As an example - if you go with 2219s you will not get the maximum velocity from your bow. You may later get an urge to switch to 2213s to get more speed...... but then you will notice more noise & vibration so you may go to the "middle ground" and try 2216s. :lol: :lol:
I've tried them all (including carbons) and today I shoot 2215s (make my own) to get the most velocity with the least noise & vibration (from my Phoenix). Not saying they are the best choice (with an Exomax for example, they could very well be too light), but they suit me.

I believe brass inserts are an option for carbons. I've never seen them for aluminums. If I wnat more FOC I just switch to heavier points.

Most of the items you list will work fine and should get you started.

I use dacron (30 strands) and crossbow center serving for the endless loop strings I make. For a "fastflight" type string I use Boo's strings. (see the trading post to get one) I will add that Boo's strings are top quality and the one I'm using now is holding up unbelievably well. I may not be making any more dacron endless loop strings for my phoenix since I tried one of his flemish twist strings. :shock:
Boo's trading post link:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=18801

And I have purchased several items from Bowhunter's SuperStore - so far good service and good products at really good prices from them.
wabi
bendback

Post by bendback »

Thanks Wabi,

I used to shoot 2219s for hunting out of a Hoyt compound - years ago
Used 2213s for target (indoor) & 2216s for outdoor ranges - had several identical pin sights to go with each shaft size so re-sighting was minimal problem. I'm just groping in the dark & it might be best to go a little slower - just have to keep mopping up the drool longer!!

My bow shooting stopped abruptly in '86 and a lot of the things that are common place now were just getting started back then - carbon shafting, for example. Too, there is no archery shop any where near & since Texas doesn't allow crossbows for deer hunting (yet) my closest source of advice is from you guys. (sorry in advance if I get to be a pest)

Thanks for the input - I'll try & be a little more patient - & I really appreciate the help.
<--<<
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome Aboard!!!! I Bought The Excalibur 2007 Exocet 200 Pound Cross Bow {429.95} And The Excaliber Right Stuff Accessorie Package With Scope {249.95} And The Crankroo {109.95} From Bow Hunters Super Store As My First Purchase, And Could Not Be Happier.. They Shipped Very Fast Very Good Prices!!!! I Would Call Them And See What Kind Of Shipping Special You Can Get When I Bought Mine I Received FREE Shipping On The Whole Order.. I See Now On There Site They Have Taken Crossbows Off There Free Shipping List. I Am 55 Years Old With A Bad Shoulder That Is Why I Bought The Crankaroo Best Investment I Have Made I Can Practice 2 Hours A Day With No Pain Or Fatigue At All... This Is A Good Starting Point And You Can Accessorize From There. If You Buy It All At Ounce It Gives You Nothing To Look Forward To!!! Researching And Buying Other Gizmos You Might Want Later. Sorry For Rambling On This Is My 3 Cents Worth. Good Luck With Your New Purchase!!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Welcome, you will enjoy yourself here.

I went at it completely the opposite. I went very slowly making the change from my vertical compound to the excalibur. I picked up a used carved tip exocet with an original excalibur scope and quiver with stringing aid and cocking aid for $250.00. I then cut down some of my bent 2216 arrows and made up about six bolts. No sense spending tons of cash and finding out you miss the old compound too much and kick the crossbow to the curb.

I still have that old carved tip exocet. Of course I have a phoenix (bought it from wayne, "wildwindom") and a new exocet also, so suffice it to say that I can't lecture anyone about spreading the cash around to gather our toys.

But I am glad I went the route I did. In a way, that old carved tip exocet is my favorite. Sure I date those two new young models, but I always come home to the carved tip.

Here she is with goundpounder mount complete with machined adapters (thanx to groundpounder) to fit the old girl.

Image[/img]
bendback

Post by bendback »

thanks guys, on the advice,

guess I just have "buck fever"! When I was forced to quit hunting / shooting a bow I didn't really ever think I'd get back into it in any fashion. Ya'll have sorta thrown gas on a smoldering ember and now it's a BLAZE!!

Gave away, to my friends, my butts, JoJan 6-bank & single fletching jigs, string jig, home made arrow straightner, nock, B.H., field point & judo point collections - everything - even peeps, releases, target scopes - everything!

Now, it seems nearly every body shoots carbons (which was looked on very skeptically at the time)!! And all the other new "toys" - gosh - I had never heard of brass inserts before! Hey, at that time in the past, No One
I knew of had a Home Computer!! Been awhile.

I'll get back up to speed, but, like everyone suggests, maybe I ought to hit the brakes a little - makes good sense & If I wasn't so "in rut" I'd have realized that myself.

Thanks for the reality check - I'll keep ya'll posted (I know it doesn't matter but who else am I going to rattle at? Wife doesn't want to hear it & the dog just sits and waggs her tail!!!

Hey I appreciate the advice and comraderie
<{>(
wabi

Post by wabi »

As an older gent told me one time when I was trying to rush into something......
"Why get in a hurry? You got the rest of your life to get it finished!"
wabi
TYE

Post by TYE »

wabi wrote:As an older gent told me one time when I was trying to rush into something......
"Why get in a hurry? You got the rest of your life to get it finished!"
Good quote.