ANYONE TRY SHOOTING CRIMSON TALON BROAD HEADS? PLEASE HELP

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter7558

ANYONE TRY SHOOTING CRIMSON TALON BROAD HEADS? PLEASE HELP

Post by hunter7558 »

I AM THINKING OF TRING THE CRIMSON TALON HYPER SPEED BROAD HEAD. THEY SAY ITS MADE FOR FAST X BOWS. HAS ANYONE TRIED IT? I AM SHOOTING THE MUZZY'S RITE NOW 100 GR. BUT NOT HAPPY BETWEEN HUNTMAN AND MYSELF WE HAVE LOST 4 DEER IN TWO SEASONS :twisted: SO IM KIND OF TIRED OF VERY LITTLE OR NO BLOOD TRAILS...OH AND NO I DONT LIKE THE LOOK OF THE SLICK TRICK.. THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!
crutchracing

Post by crutchracing »

I use the crimson talon with my compound bow. Going to try the hyper speeds with the cross bow. This is the first year with the cross bow so not much help. With the compound i love the talons.
Stash

Post by Stash »

Don't use them if you're shooting stock Excalibur arrows. The Crimson Talons have a RH twist on the blades, and Excalibur arrows have a LH helical fletching.

I can't imagine what the combination of the two will do to your accuracy, but it can't be good... :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I tried them, they gave me erratic results.
I make my own arrows, they are all right hand twist.
My first try I got excellent groups out to 40 yards with 4"vanes, then the next time out I got less than satisfactory results. I switched to 2" Blazer vanes and got everything consistent, but was still not terribly happy with the groups. I screwed a Slick Trick back on to the shaft with the 2" Blazers and have never looked back at the Talons.
The Talons look very cool but were not as consistent as I had hoped.

I emailed the MNR about the Talons for the simple fact they they do not traditionally qualify for our Ontario regulations, turned out the tiny little "bleeder" blades are what allow these to be legal, for now. The MNR said they are going to change the current wording of the broadhead regulation to disqualify the Talon line (and others like it) and to save my money. Bottom line is that they are legal for now though. I was in contact with Talon throughout my multiple communication with the MNR and forwarded them a copy of the correspondence, until that time Talon was unsure of the the legal use here in Ontario, they put the things on Wall Marts shelves using my MNR correspondence and rewarded me with a small selection of their products..
So yes, I have tried them all with many combinations of shafts and vane sizes, they are OK, but do not hold a candle to the accuracy and entry/exit damage of a slick Trick.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
hunter7558

Post by hunter7558 »

Pydpiper wrote:I tried them, they gave me erratic results.
I make my own arrows, they are all right hand twist.
My first try I got excellent groups out to 40 yards with 4"vanes, then the next time out I got less than satisfactory results. I switched to 2" Blazer vanes and got everything consistent, but was still not terribly happy with the groups. I screwed a Slick Trick back on to the shaft with the 2" Blazers and have never looked back at the Talons.
The Talons look very cool but were not as consistent as I had hoped.

I emailed the MNR about the Talons for the simple fact they they do not traditionally qualify for our Ontario regulations, turned out the tiny little "bleeder" blades are what allow these to be legal, for now. The MNR said they are going to change the current wording of the broadhead regulation to disqualify the Talon line (and others like it) and to save my money. Bottom line is that they are legal for now though. I was in contact with Talon throughout my multiple communication with the MNR and forwarded them a copy of the correspondence, until that time Talon was unsure of the the legal use here in Ontario, they put the things on Wall Marts shelves using my MNR correspondence and rewarded me with a small selection of their products..
So yes, I have tried them all with many combinations of shafts and vane sizes, they are OK, but do not hold a candle to the accuracy and entry/exit damage of a slick Trick.
I GUESS SLICK TRICKS IT IS.... I HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION FOR YOU WHAT DO YOU THINK OF A 125 GRAIN SLICK TRICK? WHAT TYPE OF ARROW DO YOU RECOMEND? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There are better ways to increase your FOC than increasing the size on the broadhead.. I only went with 100 grain to match the rest of the tips I have laying around.
I am partial to the Gold Tip Carbon arrows with a brass insert and 2" Blazer vanes, they perform without flaw for me in any weather.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
munch

Post by munch »

i shot 2 deer with them this year .first at 28 yards dropped in its tracks and crawled 15 yards .never saw so much blood .second was at 23 yards passed threw opposite shoulder ,knocked it over on its side it got up and did run 30 yards the hole did not even look like an arrow hole it was just like there add says it was like you bore the hole in the deer. i have pics of the entrance and exit holes but don't know how to load the to this site
tws75

Post by tws75 »

i tryed them with another xbow i had and couldnt get them to group very good. i have been using the rage 2 blade 100 gr. and have had very good results with them good groups very good blood trail and short recovery distance
crutchracing

Post by crutchracing »

Whent out with the cross bow sunday. Got my first kills with it, man this thing is great. Used the hyper heads, first one was 15yds compleat pase threw went about 30yds, next one was a 35yd shot another compleat pase threw went about 50yds excallent blood trail on both of them. Ive been useing crimsons for 4years and after trying them with the cb i whont change a thing.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

What can I say these heads are the end all be end all!! I have never had such a good blood trail and VERY fast kills ever!! I have used Slick Tricks for years and also G5s. Nothing has made as big an impact on crossbow hunting as these broad heads in the last few years!! I would say good luck with them, but then again if you hit the Boiler Room with one of these heads you will not need it!