Hunting With Both...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bow Life

Hunting With Both...

Post by Bow Life »

I went out tonight to a farm i know holds alot of coyotes and some deer. I took my .222 as the farmer had been complaining about coyotes getting in with his animals and wanted me to eliminate some for him. I also took along my crossbow incase i had a decent deer come by while i was sitting in the treestand because last time i was there the bush around my stand had been tore up completely by a buck.

Am i legal to have both the crossbow and the .222 on me to hunt coyotes with the .222 and deer with the crossbow? I ended up leaving the crossbow at the base of the tree as there was absolutely no deer sign what so ever and called in a nice coyote which then took two shots from the .222 to bring down. First shot at 25 yards completel miss (must have shot underneath) and second shot at 100 yards dropped him in his tracks. However i was currious as to how this works with having both at the same time.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I seem to recall that this is illegal in Ontario but I can't quote the regulation.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bendback

Post by bendback »

I know it is in Texas
Black Coyote

Post by Black Coyote »

I had contacted MNR about a month ago to ask the same question and it is illegal.
hawg hunter

legal for both

Post by hawg hunter »

It is unlawful to have both a firearm and a bow during archery season here in Texas. You can both during the gun season.
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

So if i was hunting coyote, which i was... I can hunt coytoe with a crossbow can i not?
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Call to be sure, but..
If it is a controlled hunt then you can not have a bow with you.. If your goal was just coyotes than I can't see anything wrong with that (2 weapons in a non controlled hunt environment).
Everything gets pretty finicky when it comes to deer season, if is bow season you can carry 2 bows, gun season you can carry 2 guns, but not one of each. Even during a controlled hunt you can hunt coyotes, but you need to conform to the "blaze orange" clothes which adds a huge level of difficulty to the hunt(basically a walk in the woods with a bow), you can use any rifle you want but if it is a shotgun week you can still carry a shotgun to hunt coyotes (even with no deer tag) but with no shot larger than #4.
Your best bet is to contact the MNR, they are fine people to deal with and will lay your options out for you, better safe than sorry in a case like this.
You can hunt coyotes with whatever you want (up to a .270), it comes down to personal preference, I got my first yote with a pocket knife.. Bow hunting for coyotes is hard to beat when it comes to excitement.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TPM

Post by TPM »

Call to be sure, but..
If it is a controlled hunt then you can not have a bow with you.. If your goal was just coyotes than I can't see anything wrong with that (2 weapons in a non controlled hunt environment).
Everything gets pretty finicky when it comes to deer season, if is bow season you can carry 2 bows, gun season you can carry 2 guns, but not one of each.
I want to do a bit of homework on this one because I'm not sure exactly what the rules are. I do know that for waterfowl you cannot carry two shotguns but waterfowl rules are under the CWS not the MNR.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

In [b]Minnesota[/b] it would be illegal to hunt with bow and gun at the same time. In fact one can't even have a handgun along except when hunting bear (recent change). And to complicate things, the .223 caliber isn't deer legal either. So being in the woods during deer rifle season with said caliber is asking for problems, even when hunting coyotes. Plus you'd have to wear florescent clothing..... Home of the "free" my -ss, there is no end to the rules.