I can't take it anymore...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TYE

I can't take it anymore...

Post by TYE »

I'm having the worse year hunting. I haven't shot a dang deer since 2004, and this year I'm having bad luck like no other.

This morning I got busted, YET AGAIN, by a dang ol buck. I was about 40 yards from my spot and then out of the darkness I heard him wheeze at me. So loud it made me jump! So I put it in reverse and walked back about 20 yards and sat against a bail of hay and tried to call him or other deer in with some bleat calls and grunts. I had one doe bleat back at me a bunch of times and I could hear branches whacking on another bucks antlers as he walked by... but nothing came to me. :( So when we were gonna leave, I decided to investigate... Turns out the 2 bucks were following a doe, and the doe that bleated at me was going the same way the 2 bucks and another doe were heading. Talk about frustrating! Then out of the corner of my eye, a coyote goes flying by the hay bail I was sitting at, but OF COURSE... I wasn't sitting there anymore so I just got to watch him do his thing... Had I been sitting at the hay bail still it would have been an easy 30 yard shot.

I don't even want to go on about everything that's happened before today...

I'm frustrated... Almost don't feel like going out anymore this year. Yet I still have the never give up attitude...
Last edited by TYE on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Hey Tye... At least there are deer around - and as long as there are deer around there's hope! (This is coming from someone that was sitting out last Dec. 31 LOL)

Never surrender! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Your new bow should instill a bit of hope.. A new toy can make a bad day better.
I recall a couple stories of yours this year, and all of them have one thing in common, they busted you moving.. That may tell you something.
I find the deer are acting really odd right now, I think the shotgunners have them in a very uneasy state of mind around here.

Keep on keeping on Tye.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

Hey TYE it may just be me but everytime you post about being busted it is after a morning sit.... have you tried that stand for an afternoon sit?
TPM

Post by TPM »

Hey Tye, have you tried one of VixChix cookies for bait? Even if the deer don't go for it at least you've got something to eat. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Normous

Post by Normous »

Put your frustration into another effort and harness the energy. It will make you a better hunter. I can see you whacking one by the years end.
Get out there and go for it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Stay with it, Tye. Everyone has to "pay their dues" ... if you hang in there, you'll kill more deer than you can remember eventually.

Go out there and get 'em. :D
Grizz
TYE

Post by TYE »

One of the biggest problems I have is my dad and I can only go hunt the property when our friend goes, cuz he has the permission to bring us. So we can't just go hunt there when we have the time. So I'm limited to the amount of times I can get out every year because my dad and I don't have our own permission to hunt any land. It's frustrating. So we're kind of hoping to run into someone who will let us hunt their land. It kinda sucks actually.
TYE

Post by TYE »

huntman wrote:Hey TYE it may just be me but everytime you post about being busted it is after a morning sit.... have you tried that stand for an afternoon sit?
I've seen the most deer there during nights. But that was last year. This was my first time back to this spot since last year. I've only been out 4 times I think this year outside of firearm season and it's been 3 different properties. Once to two places and twice to one place. Wish I had my own permission to somewhere. Then I could set up stands and scout and have better success and luck. :(
huntman

Post by huntman »

TYE wrote:One of the biggest problems I have is my dad and I can only go hunt the property when our friend goes, cuz he has the permission to bring us. So we can't just go hunt there when we have the time. So I'm limited to the amount of times I can get out every year because my dad and I don't have our own permission to hunt any land. It's frustrating. So we're kind of hoping to run into someone who will let us hunt their land. It kinda sucks actually.
No direspect to you or your father but its kinda tough to run into someone who will let you hunt their land.... you need to get out and ask and ask and ask someone is bound to say yes eventually.
I only wish someone would come up to me and tell me they had a deer problem and asked for my help!!! lol :D
TYE

Post by TYE »

huntman wrote:
TYE wrote:One of the biggest problems I have is my dad and I can only go hunt the property when our friend goes, cuz he has the permission to bring us. So we can't just go hunt there when we have the time. So I'm limited to the amount of times I can get out every year because my dad and I don't have our own permission to hunt any land. It's frustrating. So we're kind of hoping to run into someone who will let us hunt their land. It kinda sucks actually.
No direspect to you or your father but its kinda tough to run into someone who will let you hunt their land.... you need to get out and ask and ask and ask someone is bound to say yes eventually.
I only wish someone would come up to me and tell me they had a deer problem and asked for my help!!! lol :D
I keep telling him the same thing but I don't think he wants to go asking farmers.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Lots of people are uncomfortable making the pitch to a landowner. I for one, am not. And I have been lucky, having landed numerous properties to hunt.

Land is pretty tied up around this area though, and tough to find someone that will allow hunting and has no one on it.

And once you get a property to hunt on, guard it with your life and take VERY good care of the landowners.
I come by my name honestly.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I would think where you live there would be an endless supply of land.. Shows what I know..
Approaching a land owner is very simple, these days a lot of the guys that have the land are not necessarily farmers. Just go knock on a door or two and see what happens, be respectful (honest) and see what happens. I have never had a land owner say no to me, and I have no special abilities.
How about crown land? Going out on another limb here but isn't there a bit of that up there too? i have heard of some guys who have great success when the bush is at it's busiest.
So you know, A father and son team on the doorstep of a farmers house is an absolute guarantee of new hunting spot, probably a cup of coffee too.
Go get em!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Being a woman looking for a hunting spot is kind of creepy sometimes. I don't feel comfortable alone on property where I don't know the owners well enough.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
TYE

Post by TYE »

Today just got worse... I just found out a friend of mine who is also my best friends boyfriend, died in a car crash last night.... :cry: :cry: