Missed shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Missed shot

Post by ecoaster »

Missed a doe this morning. I find it hard to judge yardages with the snow on. She came in behind me with two young ones and I guessed the distance at 35 yards. I baahhhed at her and she froze. I let fly and didn't hear the tell tale SMACK. The three of them made a couple of jumps then trotted off. I don't think they had any clue what just happened.

Waited an hour, got down and found my bolt in the snow. Paced off the shot and it was 47 yards. No blood, and I could tell by where it was in relation to her tracks that I shot under her. Trailed her for about 80 yards and could see where she slowed to a walk. No blood.

A clean miss and yet another lesson in why you got to get em close. :roll:

I was beating myself up after wounding a nice buck earlier this season, and it was taking the enjoyment out of it. I was putting too much pressure on myself. I'm over that now and am much more relaxed in the bush. I have been seeing more deer, so maybe I have stopped giving off bad vibes!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Big John

missed

Post by Big John »

Patience Grasshopper :) , your time will come, and the bad juju will be gone! Keep up the good fight Friend! I know you will pull it off!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe my worst year was one where I was in that "I just have to kill a deer" thought process. I messed up more shots and opportunities than I care to admit. I was begining to think that Murphy WAS an optimist. :lol:
The last couple of years I've got back to just enjoying the hunt whether I see deer or not. Good thing, too! They've been scarce this year, I think they are more nocturnal in their habits because of the unusually hot/dry weather we had all summer & fall. Still managed to put a couple in the freezer so far.
Relax, enjoy the hunt, and you'll get your deer. :wink:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: The last couple of years I've got back to just enjoying the hunt whether I see deer or not. Relax, enjoy the hunt ... :wink:
Amen, Wabi! :D I am thoroughly there, man. I know it's hard for some to understand, but I hardly care whether I get one or not anymore. I've killed many in the past. I know I'll kill more in the future. I have nothing to prove, and the pressure's off ... I spent some time in the "gotta kill my limit" zone ... not a pleasant place to live.

It's nice to be past the obsession. Deer hunting is something I have done, and it's something I do and will do ... but it doesn't define me. I do the hunting. The hunting doesn't "do me."

Sometimes it's good to be out and not kill anything! :D
Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I hear you guys.

Last night I grunted in a nice 6pt buck. He came in behind me and I could only get turned around enough to get a shot on the right side. He came into 10 yards and went left. He had me pinched and I could not move. He spotted me and quickly moved behind some cover and then got out of range.

I just lauged. Found some fresh scrapes and a rub right under the tree today. Guess he was reminding the mystery "tree climbling" buck who was boss :lol: .

Said a little prayer to my grandfather (who passed away this summer) and asked him to send me a deer. He was an avid hunter and always mangaged to get one the first day of the season. He had a gift. He answered me and reminded me that there is more to hunting than just filling the freezer.

A memorable hunt I won't soon forget.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

At least you are seeing them .... Only a matter of time .... I had to hold up this weekend because of the MZ hunt in WMU80 ... I was all set to go out today , but the regs say Dec 10th is start again ... so I'll be back at it next weekend ...

I'm guessing it wont be long before you get some whitetail blood in the back of that new Toyota !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belt&Suspenders

Post by Belt&Suspenders »

I agree that a rangefinder might be helpful. I bought the cheap one at Bass Pro Shop and it's the Bushnell model for under $150. It has really been helpful especially in the dark deep woods of South Alabama where distance can be deceiving. Just my 2 cents worth. Harry
DropTine

Re: missed

Post by DropTine »

[quote="John"]Patience Grasshopper :) , your time will come, and the bad juju will be gone! Keep up the good fight Friend! I know you will pull it off![/quote]

LOL!!!!!!! Don't worry, it happens to everyone!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can