2" NAP QUICK SPIN VANES

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BOB VANDRISH

2" NAP QUICK SPIN VANES

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Anyone out there tried these guys on a crossbow bolt?
I am not getting the accuracy that I would like to see with fixed blade broadheads on 2219 shafts with 5" vanes,and wanted to experiment with the Quick spin vanes.
To this point,I am underwhelmed with mechanicals,and I am experimenting with various FOC settings,using brass threaded stock as an insert.
Does a 4 degree offset still work,or are they mounted without any offset?
Any info is welcomed.
Bob Vandrish.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Going from a 5" to a 2" is going to make a difference no matter what, but switching to the quick spins is a whole new thing all together.
Your set up would be ideal for 2" Blazers, and they cost significantly less. I tried the Quick Spins and found no difference between them and regular 2" Blazers. I do find the angle applied by my Arizona EZ fletcher is perfect for my arrow combination(8 deg. I think). An arrow has to spin Bob, especially when it comes to a broadhead.
I think if you switched to a 2" Blazer first you would be quite happy.
In my opinion brass inserts are a mush have item, combine that with 2" vanes and things will change for you.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I have already tried the 2" blazers with my version of a brass insert that weighs 40 grains,and found some improvement,but more testing is needed to establish the exact impact point compared to a target point.
They still were not hitting at the same place as the target point.
I am using a 125 grain broadhead with this insert,and comparing that to a 125 grain target point.
I also have lighter flat plastic nocks,instead of aluminum inserts
My EZ fletch is 4 degrees offset.
My FOC is approx 15% with this combo.
Bob Vandrish.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I went with the following: 2'' Blazers, (1 degree offset) on 145 gr carbon shaft, 110 gr brass insert 100 gr Slick Tricks and 21 gr nock. The 3 Blazers, glue and lacquer spray* weight only 20 grs. giving me an FOC over 20%. The bolts weight 396 grs. They fly like darts and are sooo accurate. Major change from the stock 5'' vaned bolts.

* I spray the back 7" of the bolt with white lacquer and a short overspray matching the color of the vanes, rather than wraps. That keeps the weight down in back for improved FOC while making the bolt very visible in flight.
As a bonus the lacquer makes re fletching much easier. Zip the vanes off, no glue to scrape and clean off the lacquer with acetone.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My AZ is likely the same as yours, I just couldn't remember the exact number, either way, I like that particular offset.
I have a problem with the brass being threaded into the the insert, I can't see how that could be ass effective and consistent as a brass insert which is a solidly placed against the walls of the shaft insuring consistency, there are already too many variables that can and do affect the flight of an arrow, this is merely my theory.

Not everybody can get a broadhead to hit the same spot as a a practice point, and no company will tell you it is possible. The term "flies like a Field point" simply means it will (or should) give consistent flight in repetitious shooting. For some people the broadhead will always hit 2" high and and 1" left in comparison to a field point (or something like that), if it is consistent than it does indeed fly like a field point, but not necessarily into the same hole..

I am one of the guys who can go back and fourth from practice point to broadhead with no adjustments, that is why I feel comfortable to so readily give my opinion on variables. I would like to say I just got lucky, but I didn't. Trial and error has led me to a combination that will allow me to put a broadhead (Only Slick Tricks) into the same hole as a field point at any range out to 50 yards, regardless of weather variables, like moderate wind. I experimented with everything from moving the fletching up and down the shaft in 1/8" increments to measuring the glue used to hold them. Nothing gave me quicker and more verifiable results as brass inserts and 2" Blazers when it came to consistent broadhead flight.
With Field points I shoot the same combo but have 0 difference in POI from 4" vanes to 2" vanes, the difference becomes very apparent when I slip a broadhead on to both of those arrows.
Keep at it Bob, you will get what you are after. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Big John

quick spins

Post by Big John »

I tried a few different sets of Quick spins at the beggining of spring this year. I believe I posted it. I tried a few different combo's of off-set and weights. They are nice vanes, although pricey. For the results given to me, they are not worth the added cost, almost double. As stated before, they are good but you will get the same or sometimes better results by using Blazers, or feathers. I have had excellent results using feathers. Problem is they don't stand up to good to heavy bush conditions, or Rain hunting. That is their only drawback for me. You may want to try something a little different to test. Example: play around with the broadheads, manipulate them to suit, or different length's of bolt. Testing is fun, sometimes pricey :oops: , but that is the only way to find what "You" need to keep satisfied.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Pydpiper wrote:My AZ is likely the same as yours, I just couldn't remember the exact number, either way, I like that particular offset.
I have a problem with the brass being threaded into the the insert, I can't see how that could be ass effective and consistent as a brass insert which is a solidly placed against the walls of the shaft insuring consistency, there are already too many variables that can and do affect the flight of an arrow, this is merely my theory.

Not everybody can get a broadhead to hit the same spot as a a practice point, and no company will tell you it is possible. The term "flies like a Field point" simply means it will (or should) give consistent flight in repetitious shooting. For some people the broadhead will always hit 2" high and and 1" left in comparison to a field point (or something like that), if it is consistent than it does indeed fly like a field point, but not necessarily into the same hole..

I am one of the guys who can go back and fourth from practice point to broadhead with no adjustments, that is why I feel comfortable to so readily give my opinion on variables. I would like to say I just got lucky, but I didn't. Trial and error has led me to a combination that will allow me to put a broadhead (Only Slick Tricks) into the same hole as a field point at any range out to 50 yards, regardless of weather variables, like moderate wind. I experimented with everything from moving the fletching up and down the shaft in 1/8" increments to measuring the glue used to hold them. Nothing gave me quicker and more verifiable results as brass inserts and 2" Blazers when it came to consistent broadhead flight.
With Field points I shoot the same combo but have 0 difference in POI from 4" vanes to 2" vanes, the difference becomes very apparent when I slip a broadhead on to both of those arrows.
Keep at it Bob, you will get what you are after. :D
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Post by Normous »

Trying to figure out how to highlight a sentance or paragraph without using the whole quote. My appologies for my previous post for not getting it right.
David.
I also use a screw in or a add weight to my GT II aluminum inserts, either brass or steel.. I epoxy them in so they can't turn out. This gives me the ability to add anything from 10- 80 grains to suit my prefered FOC and flight characteristics. A scale helps. My inserts or add on weights are centered and balanced into the middle of the insert. So, the way I see it my bolts are just as solid and balacnced as one using brass insets. The aluminum/add on still has as much contact to the inner shaft wall as a brass insert. In the past I have done this to my 2213 and 2216 and now my GT II's. I never encountered a problem with reliability.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bob, I think Pydpiper may be correct, that not everyone will get the same POI as a field tip. All I can add is that my G5 Strikers hit the same place as my field tips using Blazers and brass inserts firing them from my Pheonix and my Exocet 200. I do not weight anything nor do I check FOC. I don't even chrony what I shoot. BTW the four blade Magnus Stingers do the same but I have to make a slight adjustment using Razorcaps.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Don,I am using Easton XX75 2219 shafts,and the inserts I use are pieces of 5/16" threaded brass rod,that fit perfectly inside that 2219 shaft.
I glue them up and push them in before I put the conventional aluminum insert in the front of the bolt.
My fixed three blade broadheads are either 125 gr Muzzy,or Innerloc.
Still experimenting,and getting closer to target head results.
The total weight of that combo is close to 500 grains.
Bob Vandrish.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Are they hitting to the left or right of the field points?
BTW, I am serving cat whiskers on a red and bronze string right now! Might have your name on it or the roman numeral II on it.
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

The only thing that I can add to what has been said is that Quik Spins are very noisey . We already have that to deal with on crossbows now . Why add to it ?
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Don,they are hitting to the left of the field points.
That first trial was with 2" Blazers,and all the above info,not the 2" NAP vanes
The NAP vanes are on their way to me.
I know the NAP's are noisier,and I will live with that if I get the improved accuracy.
Bob Vandrish.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm going to send you something with the new string.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

[quote="

These are brass inserts not screw-ons. The 110 brass insert is in stead of the 40 something gr aluminum insert.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!