Don't know what to do! UPDATED w PIC

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fishn-Hunter

Don't know what to do! UPDATED w PIC

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Hello everyone
I am new to the site and have been reading all the exciting and interesting posts for a few weeks now, but never realy had anything to post till now. The season is winding down fast and I have not been able to get out much due too work and an injury. I have been feeding a good area since gun season ended in november, there has been tons of tracks and they have been cleaning up a 40k bag every other day. Now that I have time and feeling up to hunting the turkeys have found the feed and are cleaning it up before the deer even know its there, so the deer have stopped coming to that spot. I don't want to wait till the turkeys go to roost before putting feed out cause of the posibility of spooking deer. There has to be 30-40 turkeys crashing my stand and I don't know what to do they have been hanging around for days now. I would move to another area but I only have access to a small chunk of land, 15ish acres that is mostly field and maybe 3 or 4 acres of thick bush ie cedar and briar next to a large swamp surrounded by lots of thick cedar on next property over that I don't have permission to hunt. Any ideas of how I can feed so the turkeys can't get at it or some way to get rid of the birds fast?
Last edited by Fishn-Hunter on Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Staghunter

Post by Staghunter »

You need to switch from corn to hay. Best would be a round bale but square is fine for easier transport. Stick with an alphalfa/clover mix if you can get it. Or build a feeder and get the corn off the ground.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

This one wasn't afraid of the turkeys.....

Normous

Post by Normous »

Wow.
Nice one.
Congrats.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

nice buck but would have been nicer if you had cleaned it up a bit. put your feed in a trough off the ground but still accessible to the deer. hopefully the turkeys wont find the source.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go! :D
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Nice buck!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yup, nice animal, you did well! Nice pic except for the tongue it would have been a wall hanger of a pic! Still, it's better than some.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Nice buck!
Congratulations!!!!
wabi
kendo kid

Post by kendo kid »

Fishn-Hunter,
You have a buck that will more than make the Ontario Record Book. You need to go to the Ontario Anglers and Hunters website or to Safari Club to locate a qualified person to score your buck. You must wait 60 or 90 day ( I do not remember which) prior to scoring. Once it is scored you will be given an score sheet and you can send it in and be recorded in the "Big Game Records of Ontario".

There are probably qualified folks on the forum that will PM you and let you know where they live.

Good luck
The only ex who has a piece of my heart is Excalibur
frisky

Post by frisky »

Nice deer.......Congrats.......wish I could see something!!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
tracer

Post by tracer »

Really nice buck, taken under tough conditions. Congrats Fishn-Hunter.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Yes I must apologize, you guys are right he could have used a little more cleaning up for the pic but I actually tried to tuck his tongue back in but either he was frozen or rigor had set in cause I could not get it back in, I also tried to get the blood off of his antlers with snow but it was already dried on. I waited about an hour then called my brother inlaw to help me track him, but his car was stuck in the ditch so I went and pulled him out with my truck before we started looking. So it was a good 3hrs after the shot before we found my buck. I was very excited to find him cause I was not sure of the shot, but it turns out I got both lungs and he went about 100 yards. I lost him as he ran away, he was still running full throttle when he went out of site and sound at about 60yrds. His last leap was as long as his first! He is the biggest rack buck I have ever taken but only field dressed 175lbs. I think he must have rutted pretty hard as there was NO fat on him at all when the taxidermist (Sam at CARRA Outdoor Sports) skinned him out today for a shoulder mount.
I used an Exocet (older carved tip limbs) with Drop Zone scope, Easton 2117 xx75 bolts that I fletched with 4" DURAVANES with a right offset, Wasp Boss Bullets 100grn. The shot was 35 yrds
Boo

Post by Boo »

Fishn-Hunter, nice bow, I have one too.
None of my pictures ever have a tongue or open body cavity etc because my hunting partner and best friend threatens to beat me and never talk to me if I field dress an animal before he can take a picture. Of course I threaten to throw the deer in the back of my pick up and take a picture of its tongue if he doesn't get over and help me drag it out! The relationship works out well, I have lots of great pics!
Your picture isn't perfect but no apologies are warranted. I'm betting your next pictures are going to be better. It's really easy to get caught up in the moment with the adrenaline rush!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dimteni

Post by Dimteni »

WOW!!!! Nice Buck.