excalibur bow.... how to reduce noise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

excalibur bow.... how to reduce noise

Post by warningshot »

anyone have any tips to help reduce the noise of the bow....i currently have an exc phoenix bow...the only feature i have on it is the disipator bars and pads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

A Boo Custom String laced with Unique Silencing Whiskers is certainly your best upgrade and option. Look in the Trading post.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

Another vote for one of Boo's custom strings with the cat whiskers.

Cut down the noise significantly on my Phoenix.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm still waiting for the Neysayers! LOL!
The other thing to use is the STS, if you can get one! If you are in Southern Ontario call Gagnon's Sporting Goods in Oshawa. Someone who is using my strings and an STS shot a deer and he said he hear the arrow thump the deer!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Several things will cut down on noise. Perhaps the best bargain available is a Boo custom string with catwhisker silencers. It not only reduces noise, but is a very durable string.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My boo string is coming up on 500 shots, no wear on the string or whiskers, 1/2 of a twist a hundred shots ago and the serving looks like it was put on this morning..
Noise? nope, just the sound of air being displaced.

I am considering the STS just for fun, if I can get this bow any quieter I would be surprised.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

thanks guys ....i guess my best bet is to try to replace the string .....then we will see from there....
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

A heavier arrow will take a lot of noise from a crossbow and blazer vanes
will quieten your arrows (some vanes make a lot of noise whistling thru the air) .

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

it's more the huge whack that the bow makes ...not the arrow flight ....but i 'm using xx75 aluminum 2216 arrows as well....my goal is to stealth it down as much as possible .....should i be trying a different arrow as well.....thanks
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use BOO strings and the V-BAR absorber and am very happy with both.
Although the doe I shot last year did not complain about noise and I only had the factory set up.
Do what you can to reduce noise,keep your shots within a reasonable range on unsuspecting game and you will be good to go.
And by the way.WELCOME FRIEND
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
navaman

Post by navaman »

well, here's my question. i made a set of string suppresors for my vixen abd they quiet the bow down considerably. however as i sat in the shop this morning having the breakfast of champions (caffiene and nicotine) and looking at my sweet little vixen something occured to me. the string is no longer traveling the distance it did before the suppresor installation. i'm wonderering if i have lost velocity? :? how 'bout one you seasoned hands giving me some feedback. i'd really appreciate it. :)
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
widowman

Post by widowman »

Dacron String and a heavy arrow is my advice.

My experience with silencers is that they won't hold up.

While I have never see or shot Boo's string's, I have heard nothing but good things. You may want to give it a try.

The bottom line is that crossbows are pretty noisy. If you have an Excalibur, then it is not as noisey as allot of others on the market.

Also, allot of the noise you hear is because your ear is right next to the stock. Have someone else shoot your bow while you are standing a few feet away. Chances are it will not seem as loud as when you were shooting it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

warningshot wrote:it's more the huge whack that the bow makes ...not the arrow flight ....but i 'm using xx75 aluminum 2216 arrows as well....my goal is to stealth it down as much as possible .....should i be trying a different arrow as well.....thanks
The 2216 is a very good compromise between noise & speed. I use 2215s out of my Phoenix and they do well, also. Seems like the (my) Phoenix likes arrows at or above 380 grains total weight, but if you get too heavy you lose speed with very little gain on noise reduction.
wabi
M&M

Post by M&M »

I don't worry about the noise as fast as these excal xbows shoot your deer is hit too quick for it to react to the sound of the shot at least that has been my experience with the several deer I have taken with my exocet. so if it aint broke don't fix it. M&M